Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know there are lots of inuke threads already but I was hoping someone could help me.
I have an inuke powering a sunfire hrs12 subwoofer that had a faulty amp. Sunfire say the driver is 4 ohm and the amp was 1000rms. It has worked but never as well as the original amp. I have now switched to an Anthem mrx and its even worse and at first I though maybe its the eq but I have decided to investigate.
First I tried my old rel quake direct to the anthem (full volume on the rel) and it rattle my little room to bits during the anthem sweeps and when I play a test tone. Not pretty but it is loud (bear in my mind my room is only just over 3x3)
Next I swap cable to the inuke/sunfire and the anthem sweeps are very quiet and the test tone is quiet and actually is inaudible under 40hz.
The inuke set up is a splitter into the anthem then a twin rca to xlr connecting to the inuke. The inuke is in bridge mode. A 4 pin Neutrik wired to 1+ Pos and 2+Neg. This then goes to the subwoofer driver.
The lights on both sides of the inuke work but rarely go above 1 orange light. I have noticed that only the left volume nob works. Turn the right one and it has no effect. Is this something to do with bridged mode?
I tried taking the splitter off and trying each rca cable direct and only one of them has any output. I then tried swapping the XLR around with the rca cable was not working and it worked with one but not the other.
So I am now confused whether maybe its a problem with the inuke with one channel not working that so happen to go when I added the Anthem or whether that is just normal behaviour when in bridged mode or maybe it was never connected up correctly.
The only thing I can think of is figuring out how to wire the output to stereo and then this could tell me whether it is a quirk of bridged mode or whether one channel is dead.
If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
First, welcome to the Forum!

This cable connection scheme does not make any sense:
The inuke set up is a splitter into the anthem then a twin rca to xlr connecting to the inuke.
Regardless, it’s typical for an amp in bridged mode to use only a single input, not both. I suggest consulting the manual for how to set up and connect the amp for bridge mode (I couldn’t find one on line).

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Do you have a multimeter?

Simplest thing would be to just connect the speaker directly from one channel and see if it plays or not. Then try bridged after you try this on both channels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was reading about your Sub it is a 4 ohm driver. The 3000 can run either a 2,4,or 8ohm load. If you are wanting to use the bridged option in your case you cannot run the 3000 at a 2ohm load bridged it is too much for the amp. The max it can see in bridged mode is 4 ohm and it will give you 1100watts all day long. Since you have a 4 ohm sub you have to use +1 -1 and only use channel A. In theory you should get almost 900 watts out of the amp to your sub. I hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys thanks for taking the time to reply.
The manual doesn't mention much about bridging and how to hook up to a single rca output. Its nearly all about dsp. I didn't know if bridge mode required an input into channel A and channel B to work. I chose the splitter and double cables based on advice from going though forums.
I am now trying with a single rca to single channel. I am trying each one individually and it is 'stereo full range mode'
Input to channel A using a single connection to output A (wired 1+ and 1-) I get a very week output similar to when in bridged mode.
Input to channel B using a single connection to output B (wired 1+ and 1-) and I get no output.
Input to channel B using a single connection to output B (wired 2+ and 2-) and I get no output.
I have taken the lid off the inuke and no obvious signs of damage although it would have to be pretty obvious for me to spot it.
From the testing above it would seem that channel a doesn't have the power to move a 12 inch 4ohm driver and channel B is not working at all.
I did start getting the problem when I change receiver so I could change it back but I am not sure how that would make a difference and I could try connecting the inuke to some normal speakers but again I am not sure that's going to tell me much.
Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
107 Posts
This may be an input sensitivity issue. I can't find the input sensitivity specs for the Inuke amps anywhere.
Do you know what the preouts on your pre/pro are rated for?
Also, Is this the DSP model? If it is the DSP model, it looks like you can boost the gain in the DSP section.
Not sure if it will be enough boost, but it may be worth checking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you did not cook the amp by bridging the amp to a 2 ohm load hopefully not do you have a rcvr with a sub out? If yes is it a newer or older model? If that checks out what type of cable do you have from the rcvr to the amp? It should look like this: http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/47751.jpg. You might have to get a "smart box" it will balance the output of the rcvr to the amp. The manual is not very clear at all. Is the amp still under warranty? What is the make and model of your rcvr you said switched them any way you can provide pictures? I know for a fact my 3000DSP pushes my 18" sub pretty hard it will give me a headache. It has to be something simple or a bad amp, what color are the gain knobs when the amp is on? Orange or Red?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the cable is like that but I had two of them. The RCA splitter was on the line out and then the 2 cables went to the nuke (channel A and B). It worked for about a year like that and it would lights upto maybe 2 orange lights and occasionally 3 for a second. This was using my Pioneer vsx lx53 receiver. I swapped to an Anthem MRX500 recently and the bass just seemed to disappear. At first I thought it was the Anthems ARC eq'ing the sub (which the Pioneer didn't) making it too polite but when I decided to investigate further thats when I found that it doesn't seem to be working.
I suspect I have damaged channel B and the amp is not under warranty anymore (its a non DSP model by the way)
I still have my Pioneer receiver but its hooked up in another room at the moment. I am going to try it with the inuke and see if I get any more response out of channel A. I'll take some pics of my setting / cable too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not trying to sound pessimistic but if it worked before and then you hooked up the Anthem and now zip does not look good. Were you running the amp bridged before? I am not an expert using the pro amps is all new to me but I was told you cannot run the amp in bridged mode at 2 ohms. You can run it in stereo at 2 ohms per channel, that is my plan once I get the second sub built. If all else fails try hooking it up the way it use to be before swapping rcvrs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The manual for the Anthem lists the sub channel as having 7.2Vrms maximum output which I suspect is far more than the Pioneer sub pre out can muster.
The Inuke, even with a bad channel will still push 680 watts rms @ 4 ohms for the still functioning channel.
That should make that sub work.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If one volume work,s the B channel input is not used.
In bridge mode you connect A,use volume A and both leds will work so the B channel is on in that case.

·
Registered
129 Posts
mine works the same way in bridge mode but in the OP's case what concerns me he had the amp bridged using a 4ohm driver now the amp is seeing 2 ohms bridged and from what I understand it cannot do that. Stereo yes but not bridged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes originally it was bridged and working ok. The output dropped off though and that is why I am testing both channels.
I have tried the original Pioneer Receiver and even though channel A seems to have more output (possible because the eq is still on the anthem and there is non on the Pioneer) when I switch to channel B there is no output. I tried testing it hooked up to a speaker too and again no output.
Unless wiring to 2+ and 2- set to stereo full range is incorrect then it would seem I have a blown channel. Whether it is economical to fix I will see.
Why its blown I don't know. Maybe the eq used on the anthem put some extra strain on it or maybe it had gone before that and I just didn't notice.
The driver is 4 ohm and doesn't have an extra coil so why do you think it is presenting as 2 ohm? I am just muddling through with little techie knowledge so any help is appreciated. I did check it with a multimeter when I was deciding which amp to use and it registered about 3.8ohm if i remember correctly. That's why I thought an inuke would be ok in bridged mode. I'll check the driver again when i find the meter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have now googled bridging effect on resistance, probably should have paid more attention a year ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
Unless wiring to 2+ and 2- set to stereo full range is incorrect...
Yes, that is incorrect. It should be 1+ and 1-. 2+ and 2- is only if you used with a single four-conductor cable plugged into Channel A output. In that instance, Channel A would be on pair 1and Channel B on pair 2. This scheme would require the same wiring on the speaker cabinet in order to work (e.g. pair 1 to driver A, pair 2 to driver B).

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have now googled bridging effect on resistance, probably should have paid more attention a year ago.
I will agree with you I personally feel the owners manual is lacking in some important information. What probably happened by running it like you did over time you cooked the one channel, if you decide to get another check around I bought my 3000DSP from Same Day Music for 250 you could probably get the 3000 for under 200. Sometimes it does not hurt to call and find out if they can do a better deal. Sorry to hear that one channel is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help guys.
Yes I did try 1+ and 1- too but no luck. I basically tried all the combination that are listed on the back and it says channel b 2+ 2- and then under it then says b 1+ 1- (which isn't confusing at all!)
Yes I suspect I was unwittingly creating 2 ohm resistance for the bridge inuke which its not designed for. I suspect the eq of the anthem just pushed it that bit harder at my normally listening levels to do proper damage.
There is a local repair centre I'll drop it in for a free quote to fix. They say they fix a lot these. Whether it is economical or not I'll see but even if its fixed the inuke using one channel isn't really cutting it with the sunfire.
I did speak to a sunfire engineer who told me that the original amp pushes a genuine 1000 watts continues out which I wasn't too sure about but the difference between that driving the amp and the inuke on one channel is huge.
I did read somewhere that real world power of the inuke is actually more like 620 into 4 ohms rather than the current published number.
I was thinking of doing a diy sub build when the sunfire first broke but was too busy. Maybe now's the time!!
Again, thanks for the helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.
Yes I did try 1+ and 1- too but no luck. I basically tried all the combination that are listed on the back and it says channel b 2+ 2- and then under it then says b 1+ 1- (which isn't confusing at all!)
Yup, this kind of confusion is not unusual when we hijack pro audio gear for home applications. It’s not confusing to folks with pro audio experience, though.

For instance, lots of pro audio speakers have the capability for active bi-amping, bypassing their internal passive crossovers. Normally this would require two speaker cables from two different amplifiers. However with an amp like the iNuke, which has the capability for independent EQ and crossover filters for both channels, the user could bi-amp using a single four-conductor speaker cable, plugged in to the iNuke’s “B” Speakon jack. Make sense? :T

There is a local repair centre I'll drop it in for a free quote to fix. They say they fix a lot these
Well that's a red flag if I ever saw one.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Yes, that is incorrect. It should be 1+ and 1-. 2+ and 2- is only if you used with a single four-conductor cable plugged into Channel A output. In that instance, Channel A would be on pair 1and Channel B on pair 2. This scheme would require the same wiring on the speaker cabinet in order to work (e.g. pair 1 to driver A, pair 2 to driver B).

Regards,
Wayne
The diagram on the back of the iNuke3000 shows channel A as 1+ and 1-, Channel B shows 2+ and 2-, with Bridge as 1+ and 2+.

Underneath all that separately is Channel B 1+ and 1-

I'm gonna run it in stereo(through a Y cable from the AVR> XLR adapters), should BOTH cables be wired as 1+ and 1- for stereo mode?

This shouldn't be difficult, the manual is rubbish.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
The diagram on the back of the iNuke3000 shows channel A as 1+ and 1-, Channel B shows 2+ and 2-, with Bridge as 1+ and 2+.
Notice that the diagram is right next to the Channel A jack. So, it’s telling you the three available wiring options for the Channel A jack: Terminals 1+ and 1- for normal use, all four terminals to get Channels A and B on a single four-conductor cable, and Pins 1+ and 2+ for bridging. Make sense?

I’ll certainly agree that it’s confusing for the pro-audio novice the way it’s presented, which frankly is inexcusable, IMO. I get the indication from your confusion that the manual doesn’t clarify anything either, which is doubly ridiculous. As you say, this shouldn't be that difficult - anyone should be able to look at the diagram and figure out what it means. I mean, all they had to do was put the separate Channel B diagram up next the the Channel B jack and it would have all made sense. Simple as that. As you can tell I haven’t studied the whole manual, but I did catch that their idea of “dual mono” is not in keeping with long-held industry standards either.

I'm gonna run it in stereo(through a Y cable from the AVR> XLR adapters), should BOTH cables be wired as 1+ and 1- for stereo mode?
Yes.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 20 of 22 Posts