Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi team!

I just completed a ported sub for my music group, using an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF driver. It sounds great, but I need some guidance in setting the LP filter. The sub is designed to provide LF extension to a pair of Bose L1 Compact speakers (F3=65 Hz).The iNuke offers the following settings:
  • Butterworth (BUT6, BUT12, BUT18, BUT24, BUT48)
  • Bessel (BES12, BES24)
  • Linkwitz-Riley (LR12, LR24, LR48)

How do you know which setting is best? I do a have a basic understanding. The numbers represent the dB per octave that the frequency is shelved. The higher numbers (24, 48) represent very rapid fall off at that frequency. I guess my real question is, what's the difference between a BUT12 and BES12 (for example).

For now, I rely on my ears. I also need to use an HP filter set at 30 Hz to prevent driver over-excursion. What is the best slope and filter type for that?

- Lee

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
My knowledge of crossovers is limited, but IIR Linkwitz-Riley filters are stacked Butterworths; that’s why you don’t have a 6 dB LR (i.e. two 12 dB/octave BUT = one 24 dB/octave LR).

Linkwitz-Riley appears to be the alignment most commonly used these days. Its benefit is that it delivers flat response across the crossover region, while the others droop a few dB. IMO I’d go with the LR. My band uses those Bose speakers, so I know a little about them; I believe you can set your mains HP in the Bose speakers, but you probably already know that.

As for as the HP for the sub, the filter alignment shouldn’t matter as much as it would transitioning between the mains and sub. That said, for whatever frequency you set it for (30 Hz in your case), I think the LR will actually get that low before it starts rolling out, whereas the others will be a few dB down at 30 Hz.

Hope that helps; maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in if I’m wrong about any of this.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wayne,

Many thanks for chiming in. I have used the LR filters and they seem excellent.

Your comment, "My band uses those Bose speakers, so I know a little about them; I believe you can set your mains HP in the Bose speakers, but you probably already know that."
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying I can alter the HP filtering in the Bose? I connect my Bose to my SoundCraft mixer outputs and control the volume with the sliders. The sub is routed to my iNuke6000 from the Left Channel monitor send on the SoundCraft.

Thanks again,

- Lee

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
Hey Lee,

We’re using an older version of the L1, but ours has on-board capability to select filtering for different mics that might be used (presumably for feedback suppression). However, among the selectable settings are also some high pass filters. I looked up the manual for your L1 and it looks like that function has been rolled into an optional outboard unit called the T1 Tone Match. See Pg. 12 of the manual.

http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_l1_compact.pdf

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, gotcha now, Wayne.

Yes, the Tone Match module has a ton of adjustments and filters. I never opted for it because the SounndCraft mixer was about the same price, but had all the features I needed for my band work, including the Lexicon effects module.

Thanks for the clarification :).

- Lee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts