Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just got a Behringer iNUKE NU1000, I plugged it in and turned it on with no speakers or inputs connected last night for about 5 mins, today plugged it in and was ABOUT to plug in some speakers, I turned it on before I plugged them in and it started for about three seconds and then a pop and it was off, the fuse seems to have blown (fairly certain of this).

When it did blow there was a 6.5mm to dual RCA connector plugged into channel 1 input (which I have checked to see if the connector is not internally shorting) but no cables connected to that.

I am 100% certain that the fuse is blown but am unsure of the cause or if anything else is damaged.

Is it likely that the fuse is just faulty or something? what should I do?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The only way you can really figure the answer out to that is to replace the fuse and try again, and see what happens. I would let Behringer know as well, and let the dealer you bought it from know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried a screw in place of the fuse and it tripped the circuit breaker on my powerboard :(, I will have to get it replaced.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't say daring, the fuse was a 7A fuse and my powerboard had a 10A circuit breaker (240v). The sad news is that I won't be able to pump my sub next week when it arrives :(

Also I only chose the screw because it fit perfectly and for some reason there are like burn marks around the fuse too, weird.

I didn't have much confidence in this amp when I got it because it is so light and now this, how inconvenient.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Sounds like bad luck to me, chances of a DOA are pretty small with any big brand. Unless something "else" happened to the amp at some point...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I managed to clip the amp driving my CSS SDX15 and it wasn't even that loud :(, I might try EQ'ing the lower frequency's out.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
With these cheap amps, I always buy twice the power I need to ensure that wont happen. If you have a house curve dialled in, then it will probably be better eq'ing flat instead. If your already aiming flat, then cutting the low end will make the sub under perform and I would look at returning the amp and swapping it for a higher powered model.

Out of interest, how are you wired up, is the amp running bridged?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was running one coil per channel in Mono but Haven't tried it very loud in bridged, All of these tests are just the driver sitting on carpet on its side. I'm hoping it sounds much louder in my 22" sealed cube that I am building atm.

I might try and upgrade the amp if I am still having Clipping issues once it is in the box, I also am not sure if my AVR's subwoofer pre out will be loud enough directly in the amp as I was using a friends Minidisc recorder that has RCA in and balanced +4dbu XLR out. It also has a really loud hum which I need to figure out how to stop.

First impressions with my Sub+amp are not very good :(
I was expecting better from this amp, I will try it in the box once it is finished (ready to sand and go for a dry fit)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
It shouldnt clip at all if your running in free air. However, you state you run one coil per channel in mono, which doesnt quite add up. The amp should be running in stereo if you are connected to both channels. If your bridging then the driver should be connected to the bridging terminals only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As in One input plugged into "channel A" and then the setting on "mono" so both channels get that signal from "Channel A" When I bridged I used 1+ for pos and 2+ for neg as instructed by the back of the amplifier. I am really confused because it wasn't even that loud it was -17DB on my receiver and it sounded reasonably balanced (as in speakers to subwoofer levels). It Was not even close to Xmax (from looks).

BTW: Should it sound much better once in the box?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
It will sound totally different once in a box. The big worry though is that is should run very easily with little effort in free air. Once in a box it will take more power to get it to run hard. Doesnt sound to positive at the minute but until its in its box we wont know for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, Hopefully I don't have to upgrade the Amp.

Would running the VC's in series and bridged be easier for the amp to run than the two coils straight into each channel?

I really can't believe that a 1000w (peak) amp is clipping at similar levels to using my old Sony SA-W10G

It might of just been the song that I was playing: Simian Mobile Disco - Audacity of huge, I will try it again tomorrow

1 - 20 of 21 Posts