Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey shacksters!

I have a question: When I put side by side iphone spl meter against radioshack meter, I get two different readings lik 6-8db off. Which should I trust ???:help:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The iPhone SPL has a calibration setting as well does it not? It needs to be calibrated in order to read correctly also the iPhone mic is notorious for getting dirt in it and that would effect the readings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The iPhone SPL has a calibration setting as well does it not? It needs to be calibrated in order to read correctly also the iPhone mic is notorious for getting dirt in it and that would effect the readings.
I sure would want to calibrate it, it does have trim control.

But, calibrate it against what ???

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thats the fun part you need to find an SPL meter thats reasonably accurate. The Radioshack is ok.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Galaxy CM140 is about the best meter out there for the Price. You can find them for around $100

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
The Galaxy CM140 is about the best meter out there for the Price. You can find them for around $100
If you need to buy this one to calibrate... Then why would you every use the other ones?

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
I think I'll just buy the most accurate one, calibrate my meters and return it :devil:
We call that the loaner program out in Cali. :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think I'll just buy the most accurate one, calibrate my meters and return it :devil:
However we dont endorse that kind of behavior here at the Shack. :)
All this does is drive the price up for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
However we dont endorse that kind of behavior here at the Shack. :)
All this does is drive the price up for the rest of us.
I have the RadioShack meter and a iPhone... How am I supposed to calibrate them?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Use the radioshack meter, its close enough for it to be not an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts