Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a quality ipod docking station for use with an AV receiver?
Also, do u recommend one with a USB connection or RCA connectors?
thanks,
Kenbola

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Several manufacturers offer docks that work with their receivers. I recently purchased a refurbished one for my Denon 3312, but have not had a chance to use it, except to hook it up to see if it works. I am not sure about other vendors, but the Denon one does not display album art on screen.

The USB connection is preferred since it is a digital connection and should provide better quality. If you haven't tried it already and have a receiver that accepts iPod connections via USB you can try it without the dock to see if you are pleased with the sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the best sound, I found hooking to an external DAC with an optical cable using a dock that allows bypassing the ipods internal unit gives the best sound...
Wadia i171 will do it as will a few others but they are all expensive...

I use a Emotiva XDA-1 DAC with a Pure i20 dock, and Emotiva toslink cable.. It sounds amazing... The xda1 is $200, cable $15, and i20 is $85...

Although you can just use the i20 since it has regular analog outputs via std Rca/Rca cables, or if your avr has a digital input you can use that and bypass the ipods dac, using your avr's dac instead...

I used to use a basic rca/rca X 3.5mm plug cable wired rite into my aux input on my preamp, but now that I tapped the digital output signal directly into a spearate DAC before my preamp, it is a night and day difference. Not like the difference between a $25 cable and a $75 cable but a real noticeable difference..

Good luck, amazon has the i20 for the best price, and I would also look into your receiver to see if they have a specific unit...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that is really a cool way to go. thanks for sharing. Never would have known any of this without your help. I appreciate it. What kind of music do you listen to? Also, I assume this solution is just for audio (music), not videos on the ipod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, that is really a cool way to go. thanks for sharing. Never would have known any of this without your help. I appreciate it. What kind of music do you listen to? Also, I assume this solution is just for audio (music), not videos on the ipod.
Nope you can play videos too, the i20 has a video out also {actually a couple of them I believe}...
http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429#/i-20-Hi-Fi Quality Dock for iPod/iPhone
I listen to everything from classic rock to alternative, jazz, country, I dont care I just love music...

That ipod dock is the most used piece of equipment in my HT setup, my wife puts her Ipad on it, my sons use their I phones with it, and I have 4 different Ipods I am constantly plugging into it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts