Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. Builder is charging 1000$ for pre-wiring of a 5.1 system... How much would a DIY cost? Considering it is a new house, is there value in paying a little extra to get it done by the builder?

Thanks for your advice

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,342 Posts
Is the drywall up yet? If not, that's about $500 an hour. I'll do it for $250. ;)

To me that doesn't sound realistic. You may want to get a second estimate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is builder doesnt let any external contractor in, before the completely finished (100%), so drywall would be up.... So does that change your opinion?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,342 Posts
Nope, it's still way too much for the job. I've never had a house built - so I don't know much about the process - but it seems to me the one paying the bills gets to make the decisions, not the person working for you. Running speaker wires through studs is not complicated or time consuming, so a couple hundred is the most it should really cost. Maybe if he was wiring 11 ATMOS speakers and a few subs $1000 would be OK, but 5.1? I don't see it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As an installer I can tell you that's a ridiculous price...

My cost on a box of in wall rated 12g (500ft) is $188.41 plenty of wire to do 5.1
add $30 of shielded RG6 for a sub location

Most labor I would charge is $300 and time wise would take me less than 1 hour to do it if drywall is NOT up yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are other things to consider as well. I was a DirecTV installer for a few years. I'd have nightmare installs in very nice pre-wired houses because whomever did the wiring job didn't know what they were doing really at all. And this was just with satellite TV. Imagine if this builder doesn't know the first thing about room placement of speakers? Make absolute sure the final design makes sense.

The price does sound pretty high as well considering the walls are not in yet. This is the kind of price I'd charge for an "after the walls are up" kind of install where it's going to take a LOT more hours to make things look nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts