Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back :)

I have been using a crown xls2000 amplifier to power my Jl audio 12w7 subwoofer in a 566 liter box . I have been using one channel of the amplifier to run the subwoofer at roughly 850 watts . The subwoofer is rated at 3 ohms and the amplifier is rated at 2 ohms 1050 watts , 4 ohms 650 watts . So That's why a day a rough rating since I am at 3 ohms in the middle 2ohms and 4 ohms . I am adding a miniDSP to the system. So I thought maybe I would run the crown xls 2000 in bridged mono mode at 2100 watts . The Jl audio 12w7 is rated at least. 500 to run properly and a 1000 watt max . The 12w7 as I mentioned is mounted in a front firing box with a front firing box coming out of a audio closet in front of my home theater room . I was thinking , more power cleaner power with less distortion . Better performance right ?

Receiver Onkyo tx sr608
Samson to boast signal RCA from receiver
MiniDSP
Crown xls2000
Jl audio 12w7 in 566 liter ported box

Optional to run second channel of crown xls2000 to run my 2 Jl audio 12w3v3s in two sealed 16x16x16 boxes.

Thank you for any suggestions my ht shack audio brothers . You guys have been awesome with all the help in the past.

·
Registered
12 Posts
YOu should really look into their HT subs because their room correction is amazing and the subs they use are a little different than the car stuff. Also their responsiveness is ruined a little bit in a ported box.

Having said that there is never too much power, you can always turn it down but more power to any speaker is always best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello my freind ,

This is true . I was hoping between the limiters on the crown xls2000 and maybe their might be something with my miniDSP I haven't had a chance to play with. I may be able to protect the subwoofer from damage . I am always open to words of wisdom or ideas. Or opinions

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could build a 500lt box and tune to 14Hz, but the driver will only handle half the power then it would in the 200lt box. With the 20Hz tune, you get 115db from 20Hz on-wards, before room gain.

Used WinISD pro Alpha to sim.

John.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could build a 500lt box and tune to 14Hz, but the driver will only handle half the power then it would in the 200lt box. With the 20Hz tune, you get 115db from 20Hz on-wards, before room gain. Used WinISD pro Alpha to sim. John.

The box is 5.66 inside cuft. , 160 liters , tuned to 22 HZ . Bur I think I have the answer to my question . I will stick to using one channel of 1050 2 ohms to 850 watts at 3 ohms . Thank you fir your input . I have had a lot if have help from some cool people here at the ht shack and forgot that part of the equation .

Peace my brothers

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
You wont be burning VC's unless you do long duration sine wave testing. If you got carried away when listening to music or demoing a scene the damage would most likely be the suspension. I have never burned or ruined a VC ever unless during sinewave testing. Not saying it cant be done. Just its not as easy as connecting a big power amp to a small speaker and poof. I have my 100watts rms line arrays on 1500watts each and they sound fine. Tiny VC's also on the drivers.

YOU will be fine with having double the RMS power for your sub. Proper Hpass and paying attention to the subwoofer will help a LOT.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But will I hear and feel better performance from my subwoofer . I don't want to waste the extra power . I do have two jl12w3 In sealed boxes I could use the other channel for . I also have a dual 10" drivers in a sealed box .

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Double the power is 3db. So you may notice it a bit. Depends how your ears are. 3db is definitely better but not always noticeable. If driving only one speaker with 850watts and then increasing to 1700watts you gain 3db. If the driver is useable with this much power.

I would bridge it and see what you think. If you want more bass then I would suggest a different design or add more subwoofers. Another subwoofer and equal wattage going to it will give you 6db more than you had originally. THAT you will notice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i would test whit teh closed boxes on the other channel.
Be carefull whit the voicecoil,they will burn also whit music.
I was there,lucky it was not my hand on the volume :)

Totaly burn,t it the stupid ...........you know what :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Any amp sounds better running at 50% max than 90% max. The gain becomes non-linear when the output gets close to the rail voltages, ie, distortion.

Just gradually increase your peak volume until your sub starts to sound different. Then pull back a little. All will be well. In all areas of home-theater bass, the motto here is "The best kind of kill is overkill". :flex:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey , thanks for your input .

Did your minidsp with rew make a big difference in the performance of your subwoofers using your pro amp ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
here's my 12W7 in a 4.65 cuft slot ported enclosure tuned to 20hz (i guess). the sub enclosure was designed for the infinity kappa 12VQ sub. i moved the 12VQ to a 1.3 cuft sealed cabinet.

i am using an inuke3000 to power both the 12W7 and 12VQ subs.

i also have a balance minidsp used as a rumble filter at the moment. did not have time to learn REW to eq them subs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice system , I would definently recommend taking the time to check rew v5 with your mini dsp . I am not to familiar with the I nuke pro amplifiers . My crown xls 2000 is a basic pro amplifier that has a built in 20hz hpf with an option to adjust higher , but not lower. Their is also a Lpf that can be set to your likely and limiters to protect your subwoofers. It sounded pretty good without the minidsp . I have the mini dsp setup with rew now . I can definitely hear and feel a difference in bass response . It's more pronounced and more accurate. I am still learning by trial and air . Run a sweep , let rew apply auto filter correction to target settings . I also have been playing around with the butterworth filter settings to smooth out the bass response and correct some of the dips in the graphs. Yep , it's a work in progress .

Good luck with your setup and your minidsp adventures . :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow , i bridged my crown xls2000 4 ohms at 2100 watts with my 12w7-3 in the same ported box, it sounds better then the 12w7 running with the 2 12w3v3 in sealed boxes splitting the power. I think i was running the 12w7 a little to lean splitting the power . The 12w7-3 now hits harder then all three together did.

I am running the original dsp rew tuning from the lower powered setup splitting the power with 12w3v3. I want to run a new sweep with the 2100 watts. But i hear that sweeps with to much power can damage the subwoofer.

Any suggestions to run a safe sweep

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts