Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning my first DIY sonosub (650 liters, RLP18 tuned to 13hz) and noticed that some plans have baseplates whiles other do not. My sub will be sitting on fairly thick carpet.

Are baseplates more aesthetically pleasing or do they serve a functional purpose? I could go either way but not real concerned about aesthetics due to its location. Would rather go without but do not want to jeopardize quality if it matters.

Opinions?

thanks
Mattlock

·
Registered
267 Posts
The baseplate is not a required item. The extra weight is the biggest advantage they have for the sub. To add extra tip protection, and to help keep it from walking.

Also, I ran mine a little while with the baseplate on and off in the garage while building it. On the not so perfect floor the bass plate eliminated the slight wobble at high SPL it had without. Felt pads would have done the same thing though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
From my experience of the tallest SVS cylinder the baseplate has the advantage of increasing the footprint diameter. This greatly increases stability. The base plate also gives a predetermined spacing and therefore area where the driver output is expelled. (where the sound comes out at the bass)

Feet might well sink deeply into a luxury carpet and underlay. A simple drawing will prove the smaller footprint of feet. Draw a line between the feet and then tip along a hingeline between any two feet. This line will always be smaller in radius than a bass circle unless the feet are attached external to that circle. A baseplate also makes it incredibly easy to roll a heavy cylinder sub around on the floor just by tipping it slightly. Barrel maker's rolling style.

Individual feet will risk breakage from heavy side loading or may dig into or mark the floor covering. They probably won't roll as nicely as a disk does.

To my own eyes a baseplate gives a more finished appearance of great solidity. Like the base of a real pillar. Do an image search for examples of sonosub and see if you don't agree.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you don't use a baseplate with a 650 liter sub, good luck ever trying to move it :R It's gonna weigh in at over 150lbs and is a pretty difficult shape to get a hold of, as you can't really hug a 28" diameter tube. The baseplate with some furniture sliders underneath will allow you to move it around easily.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't use a baseplate with a 650 liter sub, good luck ever trying to move it :R It's gonna weigh in at over 150lbs and is a pretty difficult shape to get a hold of, as you can't really hug a 28" diameter tube. The baseplate with some furniture sliders underneath will allow you to move it around easily.
Good point...think I'll go with the baseplate

thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is there any gain to be experienced, particularly, but not exclusively, over a carpeted floor, to a baseplate? My thought would be aside form the moving issues, that there could be a gain realized from compression against the baseplate. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts