Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of paint my screen with blackwidow and was wondering is it right for my setup. I have an Infocus IN24+ it has 2400 lumens and a 2000:1 contrast ratio. my screen is 96"x54" stretched BOC. The room has controlled ambient light and is beige in color. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Tony!

Welcome to the Shack!

Judging from the data on your PJ at http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-Learn_Big_IN24+EP-projection-calculator-pro.htm, you have more than enough lumens to use Black Widow.

Let me go out on a limb here; I think you and I may be in a similar boat projector-wise. I have a Viewsonic PJ503D, this is also a pretty bright PJ (but not as bright as yours). Both of our PJ's are business models and I'm guessing your black-level is pretty gray on a BOC screen when watching TV or movies. If this is the case, a darker gray screen, such as BW, will be a big help in that area. It will also improve perceived contrast and make colors more vivid compared to an unpainted BOC screen.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Tony,

Even with Black Widow I think you may end up needing a neutral density filter. How old is the bulb? According to PJCentral, on a 110" screen you'll be hitting it with 49fL of light! :blink: That's a lot of light for any screen! How does it perform with the BOC?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Tony,

Even with Black Widow I think you may end up needing a neutral density filter. How old is the bulb? According to PJCentral, on a 110" screen you'll be hitting it with 49fL of light! :blink: That's a lot of light for any screen! How does it perform with the BOC?
You forgot to set the calculator to "video/movies" mode mech. Depending on zoom level, the fL drops to 24-25 for the IN24+ with a 110" 16:9 screen.:nerd::bigsmile:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
You forgot to set the calculator to "video/movies" mode mech. Depending on zoom level, the fL drops to 24-25 for the IN24+ with a 110" 16:9 screen.:nerd::bigsmile:
I hate when I do that! And I hate it when they change it too! It seems like every time I go there it always defaults to 4:3. A few months back it used to default to 15:3. :dumbcrazy: :coocoo:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
A member of another forum posted some photos comparing BW to BOC. I asked permission to post those photos here and xmenxmenxmen kindly gave it. All photos are by him. Thank you!

Where there is a dual screen, the left-side of the screen is BW and the right-side is BOC.

1. 1st up. 3 60watt point down from ceiling

2. next up. low light with 1 60watt aim up torch style

3. 60watt dim

4. look no more lights.

5. again no more light and no more BOC, only BW here.

6. no lights.

Thanks again to xmenxmenxmen for the great screenies!:T

Call me crazy, but I like the BW side the best. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you guys for your help, My screen looks like the example pictures.The whites are overly bright so i'm going to give bw a try.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
When I saw those photos Tony, I thought of you.

I think if you give BW a shot you won't be sorry. The screen image just plain looks better.:T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts