Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Is dlp a bettter option than LCD... for the $$$

5K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Jarrod 
#1 ·
I'm looking into a new mits 65" dlp. it has a 6 color engine, with 120hz refresh rate. prices run about 2000. no way i can get close to that size with a lcd for the same price. Our local stores don't stock the mits, so i can't do a picture next to picture comparison. In your opinion, which system, dlp or lcd has the best picture? i know the bulbs go out on the dlp sets, but i can find bulbs for around $100 bucks. i wonder what the average life is on bulbs. What will i lose or gain, picking a DLP set over a LCD ?
Also, will playing video games (PS3), harm either the dlp or the lcd sets? in my seating arrangement, the front row will be approx. 8' from the tv, is that too close for a 65" set?
Thanks for your help guys, as you can tell... i'm new to this stuff.

mach

#2 ·
Both technologies can give a great picture. Both can be less great as well. The Mits is a fine set and comparing it to the best LCD panels, I think you would find that the quality is similar. The LCD will be brighter, but the DLP set will be much larger for a similar price range. As for the preferred size, I would watch the sets from the distance that you will be using. If you are unsure, err to the larger size. In nearly 30 years of working with large displays, I have only had a very few clients wish that they had a smaller set, and those have typically been for design reasons.

#3 ·
I have the Samsung HL67A750 67-Inch 1080p LED Powered DLP HDTV which runs $2014 delivered in our store. I also have the 61" model.

I have only compared them side by side in several stores, although they are hardly ever setup properly, one doesn't ever seem to look that much better than the other to me. Of all my setups I have seen in DLP, LCD or Plasma, the DLP looks just as good to me. The LED allows for longer bulb life... supposedly around 20,000 hours, basically laying claim of no bulb replacement needed.

#8 ·
I have never bothered to measure it, and in the years of servicing and calibrating them, I have never had a consumer complain of the problem, though it may exist. That suggests to me that it is not significant to most consumers, and many of ours can be pretty demanding. I would not make this a decision point to reject DLP. It may be somewhat moot anyway, as before long there will be virtually no one making DLP RP sets other than Mitsubishi, as other vendors move exclusively to flat panel technology and front projection.

#9 ·
I just received my new 67A750 LED DLP yesterday:yay2:

$1899.00 on Amazon. great price.

the LED light engine has no color wheel, or bulb to go out. Colors needed tweaking out of box,
and I got it looking good, but I still want to calibrate it.
The brightness is good and has good manual settings.

#10 · (Edited)
Got mine at Vann's $1745 and 5 year warranty ($250), can from using RP LCD and just a big difference. Would have gone DLP earlier but was worried about color wheel, but since this 750 doesn't have that wheel, I just gave myself a early B-day gift.

I've read that this model has some convergence issues and other small stuff, but I have found that if you want problems you will always see problems. In a perfect world we would not need these types of forums, but I don't live there and i'm not sweating the small Sh&t, this set look great.

#11 ·
I love the colors of the DLP. If they could only be like a flat panel like the Plasmas or LCDs and stay lower in cost then these two, I'd be all over it. So, since that is not the case, I am looking to go Plasma here very soon. I do own LCD and its reliable, but I like the better blacks and higher contrast / deeper blacks on the plasma. Just looks so much more vibe to it.

But that is just my humble opinion.

#12 · (Edited)
:daydream::huh:

I think there is a point that BTB & WTW has its limits. With my LED-DLP my eyes can see a man wearing all black but still see three different blacks, from red to blue and deep black. There is a point when you need to stop applying others view points to your equipment buying. I will never hear as well as my dog does or sees as well as him either, so why should i think I will hear or see something better if i buy this or that based on others opinions. Your hearing or vision is not getting better as you get older.:nerd: I have read many reviews of for this TV any many complain about view angle or conversion issues, from 7+ feet away i don't have issues and I don't sit to the side while watching this TV and none of the room seating is outside of the 60° angle side-to-side viewing. This LED-DLP is drop dead PQ and for the price and longevity of the LED light source (60,000 hrs) you are not going to get a better cost per-square-in value.

Ok, I'll get off my soap-box now:boxer:

#14 ·
No one really knows how reliable nor long-lived the LED modules will be. I have heard estimates in the 50-60Khrs, but they have not been in the field that long. The cost of the LED units is not that high on the ones that I checked, but I am not sure about the labor involved. I do not know of anyone who has changed one yet. I am sure that some have failed, but it is not a common occurence.

As for calibration, narrow spectrum light source displays like LED based LCDs, DLPs, and projectors, and the new laser based sets, require a spectrophotometer to calibrate properly. The i1 is the least expensive one, but its spectral resolution may not be fine enough to accruately measure these sets. As far as professionals with the right equipment, Jeff Meier is in your area and is one of the best. I would highly recommend using him if you decide to go that route. I would not buy a cheap filter based colorimeter and expect to get it right.

#15 ·
Do you have any idea as to what we're talking about cost wise? Provided I try this guy out? Money is tight right now, as I'm already ultra conservative. So can you give me a ball park for a 67" DLP? I know Sonny has the same DLP I have (Sammy HL67A750), so Sonny if you're reading this, did you get your Sammy calibrated? Or did you do it yourself?

#17 ·
Why don't you give Jeff a call and check it out for yourself. His company is Accucal. Each job and calibrator is different. Discuss specifically what can be done with your system, what you want to accomplish, and get him to give you a quote.

#19 ·
Mitsubishi is currently the only manufacturer producing rear projection DLP sets. They have 65", 73", and 81" sets in lamp based units, and a 65" in a laser based unit. Most big box stores do not carry them because they take up more space and the market segment for RPTV is down to under 10%. It is reall a specialty item now.

DLP in general is still a very viable technology, but, like LCoS will mostly be seen in projectors.

#20 ·
It really surprises me that their doing away with DLP's. I found that when I purchased my Samsung HL67A750 just last September, there were few LCD's and Plasma's that could reproduce a picture like this Sammy does. Sharp's AQUOS LCD's and Pioneer's KURO Plasma's where the only two where I could see a significant image that out did that of the Sammy (at that time). And, you got more picture for the $$. I don't get it.

#21 ·
Market share. Retail floor space. Flatness is cool. Warehouse space. Ease of replacement and service.

There are lots of reasons, but mostly the market perception that people want thin flat screens. Mitsubishi is betting that the value factor and being the only player will allow them to gain market share and status as the "big screen company" that they have always tried to maintain.

#23 ·
Nope, not RPTV. They still make the projectors, including the one that Joe Kane helped design that is supposed to be exceptional. The last production of RPTV ended in December, according to the Samsung tech rep that told us about it.

#24 ·
I found that when I purchased my Samsung HL67A750 just last September, there were few LCD's and Plasma's that could reproduce a picture like this Sammy does. Sharp's AQUOS LCD's and Pioneer's KURO Plasma's where the only two where I could see a significant image that out did that of the Sammy (at that time).
:dontknow: Sharp AQUOS has never really been a standout performer among LCDs, especially not in the past couple of years.

#25 ·
I have an Olevia 42 inch LCD and a Mitsi 60 inch DLP and 9/10 I'm watching TV and/or playing video games on the Mitsu - the brightness difference between the LCD and DLP are not an issue and while there are differences, they are not enough of a problem to NOT take advantage of smoking DLP deals. Tigerdirect has a 65" mitsi HD DLP on sale for $1299....you can't beat that with a stick!

#26 ·
LCD usually boasts a high contrast ratio and very fast refresh rates, which makes for easy-on-the-eyes viewing and very little blur when watching high-speed events such as sports. With less glare than plasma, these make for great looking home televisions. However, LCD design creates what can sometimes be a limited viewing angle.
In a DLP TV, the core component is the bulb. While the bulbs have a limited lifespan (usually about 4,000 to 5,000 hours), and cost about $300 to replace, there is no such thing as "burn-in" with a DLP TV. When the image starts to dim and the picture gets blurry or faded, replacing the bulb will rejuvenate the image. With LCD, burn-in is a significant issue, which occurs when the TV is left on too long or sometimes even just from extended use. When that happens with an LCD, the only option is to replace the entire screen. With DLP, a new bulb is like getting a new TV. In addition, with DLP, dead pixels are much less of an issue, as the individual pixels are not turned on and off the way they are with an LCD screen.

Hope it clears things

#27 ·
If we are talking about DLP RPTV, the cost of lamps is $99, not $300, for any of the lamps for the new Mitsubishi sets, which are the only new products available now.

Also, burn in is NOT an issue with LCD. PDPs have potential fo burn in but it is far less of an issue than it once was, and with a properly calibrated set, it is unlikely to be a problem for most users.

#28 ·
Regarding the discussion about the life of the LED light sources in these LED-DLP sets....

I have had a Samsung HL-T6187s for 25 months and the red LED module just burned out on my set. Doing a little bit of research reveals that this is a very common issue on these sets, and that Samsung engineers apparently knew they were pushing things just based on the tremendous cooling device they put on this module. They attached huge copper heat pipes and fans that are reminiscent of a computer over-clocker's cooling setup.

So in my experience you will be fortunate to get 5000 hours out of one of these LED modules (at least the red one) before expecting a repair. The part costs around $100. The labor is of course dependent on who is in your area. I believe this is also a DIY project for advanced DIYers, if you purchase the service manual.

#30 ·
Yeah the extended warranty should get you taken care of if you experience this issue. I didn't have one so just spent my evening replacing the red LED module myself. My cost was about two hours tracking down the part, a total of $104 for the part plus service manual plus shipping, and another two hours of my time doing the repair. Back up and running good as new for now....

Samsung did offer to cover parts out of warranty after I scolded them for such poor lifetime on a part that they touted as having 10x the life that I obtained. But they required me to go through an authorized service center (where I would have to pay for labor and wait for them to get parts and put me on their schedule). So I decided it was cheaper and faster to just buy parts and do the repair myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.