Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and sorry I've been gone for a while.....

My F1200TS Face amp is still rocking but the power switch is going bad. I've not been able to get online with www.Faceaudio.com or can find a source for parts.

Thank you in advance..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIY is the retailer. I would prefer to go to the mfg to buy parts but thanks..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking they might be able to let you know who does the warranty work or supplies the parts.
Thanks but I would like to find out without bothering them. That's why I posted here.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've called several numbers and decided to find an EBAY seller that handles their products. Below is a reply in case someone else needs parts.

Face Audio officially closed it's doors May 1, 2012. I am just selling off the remaining inventory. The power switch is pretty standard. I would suspect that you could find it at mouser.com or even digikey.com

The Shack has made some nice changes. Keep up the good work Mike.:T

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems that posts stay around here for a while so here is a follow up for others that may have a switch go bad on their Face Audio amplifier.

I have spent this afternoon removing my bad one and looking for a replacement. Below is the link and the price is $.96 each plus shipping and handling.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70207352

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Glad to hear you found cheap solution Mike! The price is definitely right!
Yes but watch the shipping...I ordered two of them USPS Priority and got hit with a whopping $41.00 total! Oh well, no repair bill or shipping so I guess I'm ahead. :scratch:

It just got better. I called Allied to change shipping and told them I promoted their product in the forums to help their business. They cancelled the order and are shipping the switches for free via regular mail. What a nice company!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have an F1200 with the same problem; walked by the rack one day and stepped on something.
I looked down and it was a spring - the power switch had evidently broken over night and the rocker assembly shot across the room...lol

Thanks for the link; I'll get a couple spare switches too.

Larry

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Mike,

I have an F1200 with the same problem; walked by the rack one day and stepped on something.
I looked down and it was a spring - the power switch had evidently broken over night and the rocker assembly shot across the room...lol

Thanks for the link; I'll get a couple spare switches too.

Larry
Hi Larry,

They never shipped the switches so I found someone else much cheaper. Allied Electronics had a huge shipping/handling fee.

I bought 2 of them from Mouser Electronics for about $10.00 including USPS priority shipping. Verify with them first to be sure.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...flPXzf/g8u8PDriEd9TKnXUXbSGHZADax0uK7rgMlTg==

I figured out that these switches "snap" when you toggle them. When turning the amplifier on and off, it is best to hold the switch firmly while turning the rocker so it doesn't snap or click. It is a design flaw. You need to exercise caution removing the old one because of the hot wax they used to hold it in place. You don't need to use anything when you install the replacement. Just be careful and if you need any pointers, let me know.

....You are going to be blown away when you open up the unit and find the GIGANTIC toroidal transformer. It is the size of a small spare tire. That is why this amp is so awesome and heavy!!!

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips Mike; I will work with Mouser as well.

Larry
Larry,

Here is a couple of pointers that should get you through the replacement....

1. The only thing that needs to come apart is the main cover held on by the many small phillips screws.

2. Snap a good picture of the wiring at the back of the switch but after carefully prying out/off the wiring from the terminals, they should stay in place because of the way they are made and molded.

3. Once the wires are removed and you can get the wax cut off what you can see, it is ok to just break the switch in pieces for easy removal. Don't try to take anything else apart.

4. Clean off the old remaining wax and push in the new switch. Something that looks difficult with opening up the case is relatively easy after the first one.

Good luck and rock on!:D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips Mike; I will work with Mouser as well.

Update - I ordered 4 switches as I have 9 Face Audio amps; ~$11 to my door. Thanks Mike!

Larry
You're welcome! Wow! Nine of them? Why???? That's awesome and don't get rid of them.

Capehart TV went out of business in the 50's because their stuff was so well built and expensive for the day. I think that Face had such a great product but they couldn't compete with the likes of QSC and other cheaper priced stuff so they folded. This is one of the best pieces of gear I've ever owned.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use Face for all channels; current line up includes:

5ea. F250TS (3 are bridged and drive the mains, 2 are run in stereo and drive sides and rears).
3ea. F1200TS (each was bridged driving gen 1 Mael-x; I'm in the process of rebuilding my bass now).
1ea. F2000TX (undecided, may bridge and drive a XXX-18 in 10 cubes, or may drive an LMS in 4 cubes near field).

I'm probably going to pickup a couple more amps; at least 2 more 250's and 1 more 1200.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Its good to see some other Face Audio users. I have three F1200TS amps with two of them running my 8x15" IB system and one on loan to a friend for his four dual opposed subs (8x15" drivers).

I recently had both fans go out in an amp. I replaced them with Sanyo 16 dB fans from newark.com. I bought another set of fans for the other amp, but haven't installed them yet. The amp with the new fans is almost completely silent now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use Face for all channels; current line up includes:

5ea. F250TS (3 are bridged and drive the mains, 2 are run in stereo and drive sides and rears).
3ea. F1200TS (each was bridged driving gen 1 Mael-x; I'm in the process of rebuilding my bass now).
1ea. F2000TX (undecided, may bridge and drive a XXX-18 in 10 cubes, or may drive an LMS in 4 cubes near field).

I'm probably going to pickup a couple more amps; at least 2 more 250's and 1 more 1200.
...how do you turn them all on at once? Do you have them set up on an auto lighting contactor?

Do you have a build thread showing your setup?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts