Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a G15-50 Panasonic plasma and the BD60 player... I hooked up everything to my old Dolby Digital receiver through the optical out of the BD60 and it sounds great.My question is .... and the subject of many sleepless nights:rubeyes:..is there a big difference from good ole Dolby Digital to the new lossless Dolby TrueHD.. to warrant me to upgrade? I realize everyone has difference tastes.. but this is really bothering me and I would like hear some of your opinions... Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience, that it does make a difference. I had a period of time, a couple of weeks back, where I was having issues, where my receiver defaulted back to Dolby Digital (previously, TrueHD was working fine). I took me about two weeks to figure out a setting I had was off. When I got TrueHD working again, I really did notice a difference. Now to be fair, that was a direct A/B comparison. To buy a whole new receiver, potentially could be a lot of money, depending on how high a quality your existing receiver is.

You may also want to look at analog out. Does your receiver have analog inputs, and does your BD player have analog outputs? If they both do, you could connect them with analog cables and have your BD player do the hirez decoding, so you could get the lossless audio without upgrading your receiever...may be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You may also want to look at analog out. Does your receiver have analog inputs, and does your BD player have analog outputs? If they both do, you could connect them with analog cables and have your BD player do the hirez decoding, so you could get the lossless audio without upgrading your receiever...may be worth looking into.
The only issue going this route is some people have reported that this bypasses some of the receivers auto room correction if it has it.

I also agree that the uncompressed audio formats do sound much better than regular DD or DTS, however it is really only noticeable for action movies (much more dynamic). Movies with just standard soundtracks dont benefit much from the new formats.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I am a big believer of the new codecs. However, the quality of your speakers would be an issue to me whether or not to upgrade. If using relatively modest speakers, you might not notice as much of a difference.

What kind of speakers are you using?
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
the quality of your speakers would be an issue to me whether or not to upgrade. If using relatively modest speakers, you might not notice as much of a difference.
Very good point Jack!

I always assume that people are using decent speakers and a good sub in there home theater setup.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I too like to think that everyone is running high resolution equipment. Then, I hear friends boasting about how great their system sounds only to find a Bose 3-2-1 system providing their sonic nirvana.
Not to denigrate Bose owners, but it is amazing through sheer force of marketing and litigation they have managed to make millions of people equate good sound with their wares.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
but it is amazing through sheer force of marketing and litigation they have managed to make millions of people equate good sound with their wares.
Marketing is a powerful thing to those who are not educated in what really is out there. I cringe and have to bite my tongue when I wander through our local big box stores and here what some of the sales people are telling the unaware.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I try to find a graceful way not to hold my tongue, some of the salespeople find it quaint, other aren't amused at all, but the customers are almost always grateful for a 2nd opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I agree. It is scary what some of the "experts" at the big box stores preach as the gospel. Even worse are the ones who have had some factory training, but only one factory rep's spiel which is then disseminated to all the other "experts".

At least at the Magnolia section of my BB (Sarasota, FL), the people who work there are not factory trained by anyone and rotate between all of the sections of the store.

Something truly has been lost as more and more independent Hifi stores are closing. Even the loss of Tweeter and Sound Advice has left a hole in knowledge. The sheer ability to audition equipment has become next to impossible. At least well displayed and setup systems.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My HTR... is 12 year old Kenwood..it's no Marantz ...but it did it's job.

My speakers are Polk RTi 10's and my center is the Polk CSi A6.

My subs are 4 Tempests ,housed in a 55 cubic foot vented enclosure powered by a Crest CPX 2600 amp..

This is my setup.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Polk RTi's are very nice speakers and well worth making the switch to the lossless codecs. I really like the tweeters in the RTi's. If not mistaken they are Vifa Ring Radiators which are excellent.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
214 Posts
Agreed...with those speakers, and those killer subs :)yikes:), I think you would do very well to upgrade your receiver to something better. Not only would you do better by getting hirez audio, I think you would do better in the general sound quality as well.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
100% agree, a new receiver would yield greater dynamics and imaging as well. Older receivers really did not do a great job in that area.

Mike, Do you have a budget in mind?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Accessories4less has some amazing deals on B-Stock Onkyo's. They even have my personal fave TX-SR-805 for under 500 Dollars. In addition, they have the TX-SR876 for 799 in Silver and 839 in Black and the TX-NR905 for 995. The 876 and 905 both feature the Reon video solution which is excellent. The 905 adds a toroidal transformer and internet radio doo dads.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
100% agree, a new receiver would yield greater dynamics and imaging as well. Older receivers really did not do a great job in that area.

Mike, Do you have a budget in mind?
I am thinking by Christmas....I would like to keep it under $1000....

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I am thinking by Christmas....I would like to keep it under $1000....
Thats a great budget, it gets you into a really nice receiver. I personally think the Onkyo 876 is a great choice.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
If Accessories4less still has a TX-NR905 available for 995, check that out as well if internet radio is of interest. Furthermore, the TX-NR905 features a toroidal transformer and 2 HDMI outs. Either way, you cannot lose.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts