Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I converted my old wood fish tank stand and canopy into a entertainment center since the piano black finish of stand matches my speakers and tv.. just wanted to make sure as I have a onkyo 906 receiver and they can run hot.. cabinet closes in front but back is open and its 7 inches away from wall so that equipment can breath.. is that good?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of airflow... Once you put the equipment in there check to see if it is running hotter than if it wasn't in the rack. If it is running hotter you might want to try getting a fan to keep it cooler.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking. . I think it has more airflow than when it was in my old entertainment center because the onkyo was sitting on bottom shelf and next shelf was almost right on top of it.. now there is no shelf above onkyo

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ya, that 906 is a monster receiver and a fan is highly recommended particularly at the top, back on the right.
My concern is with a front door closed you dont give it any air movement through the cabinet. Can you put a hole in the door with a screen like material on it to allow some air into the front?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has morr air moving through it then a typical cabinet.. nothing is stacked on top of it and the back of cabinet is wide open

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd really be concerned wit the air flow with th doors closed.The open bach will allow some heat to escape, but thhere won't be any air movement accross the top of the receiver and 7" behind the cabinet isn't very much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know lots of people that use wood entertainment centers (with and without doors) with no issues. If you're worried about it, you can get a fan like others have mentioned, or put mesh /screen in the door panels.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Here is a link to that fan if you are interested:

http://www.buyextras.com/cocofanki14q.html
I have several of those both in my HT and in other rooms for DirecTV DVRs. To me they are very quiet and move enough air. I have two on top of my Denon AVR, which is in a Salamander cabinet with only 4" or so above it and the AVR stays cool.

I tried these, thinking that the side discharge was a good idea, but they were too noisy:

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts