Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this isnt a thread about if cables (analogic, speaker, digital, etc) have or don't have an audible impact on sound or not.

My question is if can we use REW to prove if cables have or don't have an impact in sound.

There are situations where i think that REW can indeed prove if there are or aren't differences.
For example, on subwoofer cables:

1 - Disconnect Mains
2 - Use the cheapest subwoofer cable possible - Measure
3 - Use an "audiophile" subwoofer cable - Measure

The two graphs should show with 100% acuraccy, if there is or there isn't sound variations.

Regarding other kind of cables, i don't know if we could use REW to check for supposed sound variations.

For example, in the following scenario :

- Subwoofer disconnected
- Measure using mains only

Measures applied to cheap/"audiophile" cables like :
- RCA analogic cables
- Coaxial/digital cables
- Speaker cables
- power cords
- etc

If there is indeed variations in sound signature using different cables, and as those variations are in the range of frequencies measure by REW, can we presuppose :

1 - If there is variations, REW will show them.
2 - If REW don't show them, there isn't variations, and its a placebo effect?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Have you tried yet? In theory if your setup (mic, software, etc) is sensitive enough to detect those differences then the graphs should show them. I would think the differences between two cables of the same/similar composition would be too subtle to guarantee that you were actually seeing them as opposed to other small inconsistencies between tests. Try running multiple sweeps with identical REW settings without changing the cable. Are the graphs all exactly the same? Do it again with the other cable, then compare them all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts