Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been reading for the last couple of days about the Sonosubs ...and I'm not sure if is this simple.

Background: I have two subs Infinity TSS750 and Velodyne VRP1000, both have a FR of 35Hz-150Hz, my room is small (9'x18"x8'), two rows, space is very limited (that's why I'm considereing a Sonosub to place in a corner near TV; space is 18"x14" and I'm sure I can fit a 16" tube).

After reading a lot of thread and get inspired ..:yes: ... this is what I think I have to do:
1. Get the Sono tube (16" to be safe).
2. Driver: I was planning on using a 15" (with a 20" tube before I measured), Can I still do it??? ... or 12".
3. I have some particle boards (3/4) to make caps.
4. Using the Sonosub calculator I calculated a 60" tube, 4" port 30" long ...results 169L tuned 13.2Hz.
5. I can use pink insulation, bating, etc. to cover the interior of tube.

Here is my questions:
1. What is the cheapest driver that I can use??? ...my budget is tight (I want to use less than $300 if possible :hide:) ...I checked online and I found Shiva X 12" $172, Exodus DPL 15 $128 (but I remember reading that is not a good choice on a Sonosub), Dayton QT385-4 $129, Dayton DVC 385-88 $150, but I'm open to suggestions ...
2. Do I need a crossover or anything else??? ... or Do I just need the wire connectors for the amp.
3. To power the sub: I have the BK amp (buttkicker), I remember reading that some people use it to power the buttkickers and sub at the same time ...Is that okay??? ... or is better to use a separate amp??? ...I have an AVR (7.1) that I'm not using, will that be okay???
4. Is that simple??? ...I 'm sure I'm missing a lot of information.

This will be my first project ...I know that any DIY will be better than my subs :yes:

I'll appreciate all suggestions. :T

EDIT: Here is the link to the Building thread

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yes, a DIY subwoofer project isn't very complicated. No crossover or intricate wiring is required, just wiring from the driver to some speaker posts which then have wires running to your amplifier.

A 15" driver isn't going to work with a 16" diameter tube. Even an 18" diameter tube would be much too tight for my liking. You will want to use a 20" diameter tube or wider to properly fit a 15" diameter driver. Also, a 4" diameter port with a 15" driver is a no no, you'll want to use at least 6" diameter porting.

Sounds like you have the amp already, so how much can you allocate to JUST the driver? If you end up using a lowly 15" driver without much excursion, you may very well need a highpass filter to keep it from reaching overexcursion. The Tempest X 15" is $188.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response.

A 15" driver isn't going to work with a 16" diameter tube. Even an 18" diameter tube would be much too tight for my liking. You will want to use a 20" diameter tube or wider to properly fit a 15" diameter driver. Also, a 4" diameter port with a 15" driver is a no no, you'll want to use at least 6" diameter porting...
The 20" was my original plan ...but my problem is the space (look at the picture), if I use a 20" I have to move the TV and my space to walk into the room will be really tight :wits-end:

I have to use 16" (or maybe 18"). What driver do you suggest??? ... 12"??, I don't think 10" (same as the one I have) will be a good idea, Right??? ...If I use a 12", Can I use a 4" port or do you still recommend 6"??

Sounds like you have the amp already, so how much can you allocate to JUST the driver? ... The Tempest X 15" is $188 ...
I saw it, but according to their website is "out of stock" :sad:

What do you think of the Shiva X 12"??? ...or maybe something cheaper :bigsmile:

I been doing some numbers, with the 16" tube, Shiva X, port, hardware, etc...cost is around $260 :praying:

If you end up using a lowly 15" driver without much excursion, you may very well need a highpass filter to keep it from reaching overexcursion.
I'm trying to keep it simple (no filters/crossovers on sub, just use the one in the amp) ...What do you recommend??? ...I read some specifications (that get me :dizzy:), but I've seen 22mm, 27mm, etc.

(I'm planning to place Sonosub on the right side, I have a 18"x14" space behind speaker (I have my Velodyne there) so if I use 16" tube I'm okay, for 18"-20" I'll have to move TV to the left 4"-6" ...and that's the walkway into the room ...I need a bigger room :bigsmile:)

HT Front View JBL.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Great idea David!! Looking forward to having some news very soon!!:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Thank you for the response.

The 20" was my original plan ...but my problem is the space (look at the picture), if I use a 20" I have to move the TV and my space to walk into the room will be really tight :wits-end:

I have to use 16" (or maybe 18"). What driver do you suggest??? ... 12"??, I don't think 10" (same as the one I have) will be a good idea, Right??? ...If I use a 12", Can I use a 4" port or do you still recommend 6"??

I saw it, but according to their website is "out of stock" :sad:

What do you think of the Shiva X 12"??? ...or maybe something cheaper :bigsmile:

I been doing some numbers, with the 16" tube, Shiva X, port, hardware, etc...cost is around $260 :praying:

I'm trying to keep it simple (no filters/crossovers on sub, just use the one in the amp) ...What do you recommend??? ...I read some specifications (that get me :dizzy:), but I've seen 22mm, 27mm, etc.

(I'm planning to place Sonosub on the right side, I have a 18"x14" space behind speaker (I have my Velodyne there) so if I use 16" tube I'm okay, for 18"-20" I'll have to move TV to the left 4"-6" ...and that's the walkway into the room ...I need a bigger room :bigsmile:)

View attachment 10423
I wouldn't use a 12" driver for subwoofer duties. At least 15...or better 18" assuming a tiny little room (but that's me).

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Blaser and Mike.

What do you think of the Exodus DPL15??? ... I remember reading a post that this driver is better just for IB use ...

What is your opinion of the Dayton DCS450-4 (parts express) ...18" for $115??? ...price seems really low for a 18" driver.

I will ask about Tempest X availability, but just in case ...What is your next suggestion Dayton QT385-4 or Dayton TIT400c-4 ...or What other options do I have up to $200???

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Exodus DPL15 is for IB only. The Tempest-X is out of stock until February 2009. I modeled a couple of subs. Both fit in 6 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz. Both would cost around the $200 mark shipped to your door. The IXL-15 has a slight advantage in output due to it being a bigger sub. Both would run off your Buttkicker amp, note that a subsonic filter is required.

shiva ixl.JPG

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Mike.

I will make some templates and measure the space where I will use the sub to decide 16", 18" or 20" tube.

I was kind of :sad: when you mentioned "a subsonic filter is need it" ...I'm still learning, and it seems complicated (I read a post where Rane PE 17 was mentioned $400) ... but I'm sure you/and others will guide me through this when I'm ready.

Do you think is better to get a plate amp instead of my buttkicker amp??? ...if I recall correctly that will have the filters need it, Right??? ... or What do you suggest??? ... remember my budget is limited :yes:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A good quality SSF is $100 or less. If you're on a budget, use the Buttkicker amp and get an add on SSF. Keep us updated on what sub you decide to get. Then we can model it to see what diameter sonotube you'll need. A taller (smaller diameter) tube will give enough clearance between the end of the port tube and the back of the sub magnet.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
What if instead of building a sonosub you build a tallish rectangular box? That way you can get more volume out of the available space you have and get back to using a 15". In my opinion, too much money is allocated to a subsonic filter when it could instead be put towards a better driver. Plus there is no sense in buying a plate amp when you already have the Buttkicker.

·
Registered
154 Posts
...What is your next suggestion, Dayton QT385-4...
Don't use the 15" Quatro mentioned above. When it came out a bit over five years ago, it was a great deal at $89. It's significantly overpriced at $128. It's still a great woofer, but the 10mm of Xmax is very limiting compared to the other options. I just can't believe they raised the price that much. The Dayton Series II 15" (on which the Quatro is based) used to be $79, now it's also $128, with only 8mm Xmax. :coocoo:

Plate amplifiers with built-in subsonic filters start around $240 if I recall correctly from my research last week. So depending on the driver's power requirements, it may be just as frugal to use a less expensive amplifier and standalone subsonic filter, as has been suggested.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
In my opinion, too much money is allocated to a subsonic filter when it could instead be put towards a better driver. Plus there is no sense in buying a plate amp when you already have the Buttkicker.
I agree on both points. A subsonic filter is recommended for guaranteed trouble free performance, but a little caution and common sense can keep you out of trouble. You can also model the box to prohibit over excursion. I'm not on a computer to do that currently but I'll look into it later.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree on both points. A subsonic filter is recommended for guaranteed trouble free performance, but a little caution and common sense can keep you out of trouble. You can also model the box to prohibit over excursion. I'm not on a computer to do that currently but I'll look into it later.
I'll third this point. I don't plan to get a subsonic filter for my vented system. Had I stayed with the Quatro, I might have - but instead upgraded to the Tempest-X, problem solved.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all for the suggestions ...:T

Try modeling the IXL-15 in 6 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz. Without a SSF you give up 3 db and exceed excursion at 15 hz.
I've been trying to post since this morning that question: What size do I need to avoid the purchase of the SSF??? :yes:

Yesterday I measured, I can fit a 18" without problems and to fit a 20" I will have to move the TV a couple of inches (not what I thought yesterday :whew:)

I been reading this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-soundsplinter-rl-p15-build-2.html#post128046 ...and I'm planning to copy the build (hopefully Iglura won't sue me for copyright rights :bigsmile:).

He is using 20" x 60" tube, net volum is ~270 liter, and tuning is 15hz ...I used the Sonosub calculator I found in one of the post I read, and this is the number I'm getting: 275L=9.6 cu ft, 15.3Hz tuning using a 6"x30" port or 16.8Hz with a 6"x24" port.

What's better, a 15.3 or 16.8 tuning??? ...there's a lot to learn (I don't even know exactly what's tuning and how that affects the sub performance :hide:) ...and look at me, trying to build one :bigsmile:

P.S.: I think I will go with the RP-L15 ...Tempest X will be available until 02/09 :sad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
He is using 20" x 60" tube, net volum is ~270 liter, and tuning is 15hz ...I used the Sonosub calculator I found in one of the post I read, and this is the number I'm getting: 275L=9.6 cu ft, 15.3Hz tuning using a 6"x30" port or 16.8Hz with a 6"x24" port.

What's better, a 15.3 or 16.8 tuning??? ...there's a lot to learn (I don't even know exactly what's tuning and how that affects the sub performance :hide:) ...and look at me, trying to build one :bigsmile:
I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between 15.3 and 16.8 Hz tuning, except using a computer. I'd go for 15.3 Hz myself though, just to give that extra 1.5 Hz of driver protection. :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts