Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built my first diy sub. I have a Mal-x in a pr'd 8 cubic foot enclosure tuned ~17.5hz. My receiver is a Pioneer elite vsx-21txh and my amp is a beringer EP4000.

When I connect the Pioneer directly to the EP4000 and run MCACC everything works great. The sub sounds pretty good and it pressurizes the room very well. But when I add the reckhorn to the mix, I have to turn up the gain all the way on the reckhorn and pioneer to get decent sound levels. I thought if anything I'd need to turn down the sub out on the pioneer.

I'm using all RCA cables with a RCA to 1/4 adapter into the EP4000. Am I missing something or do I have a defective reckhorn b2?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have channel one all the way up. I also tried channel two all the way up but it made no difference
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, if it matters, I'm running the amp in bridged mode and have the voice coils wired in series.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the "main level" at 12 o'clock, the subsonic filter just under 9 o'clock, boost at 9 o'clock and frequency at 20 hz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried a few things last night and I now think the left channel on my reckhorn is the problem.

I tried the main level at max (I've been using the left channel only the entire time) and it made no improvement. Then I switched to the right channel just for grins and it works like a champ. The only issue is with the main level maxed out and the gain on the EP maxed out I can hear a slight hum from my listening position. I don't think it's a ground loop because it doesn't go away with a cheater plug (or could it still be a ground loop?).

Anyway, after the holiday I will put in a call to CSS as the reckhorn is new. I just wanted to rule out my noobness first.

Thanks for the help Mike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my reckhorn issues sorted, the problem was me and not the b2 :eek:opssign:

Everything is working perfectly now and after fixing a ground loop, I am at max gain on the EP4000 and the B2 with zero hum! Even with the sub trim at -8 db on my pioneer, my pr'd mal-x has ridiculous amounts of bass. I am a very camper!

Thanks for the help in trying to troubleshoot my problem Mike. I appreciate it :T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you post details of the 'fault' and how you fixed it together with how you resolved the ground loop problem.

It may well help others in a similar position. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure. The problem with the left channel on the reckhorn was probably me wiring the input and output backwards. In an effort to get rid of the hum I replaced both rca cables at the same time. It didn't make a difference but I decided to switch back to the left channel to try one more time before I call CSS and it worked perfectly. I tried the old cables and it still worked fine. I cant reproduce the problem now which is why I think I had it wired backwords the other day :dumbcrazy:

To fix the ground loop I had to have my cable company fix the ground on my cable modem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure. The problem with the left channel on the reckhorn was probably me wiring the input and output backwards. In an effort to get rid of the hum I replaced both rca cables at the same time. It didn't make a difference but I decided to switch back to the left channel to try one more time before I call CSS and it worked perfectly. I tried the old cables and it still worked fine. I cant reproduce the problem now which is why I think I had it wired backwords the other day :dumbcrazy:

To fix the ground loop I had to have my cable company fix the ground on my cable modem.
Thanks for the update k_t.

Glad you got sorted:T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts