Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It could easily be that I do not do it right.

If you by monitoring function means the laptop microphone, then it is turned off.

My laptop does only have a combined 4 pole 3.5 mm jack for headphones, and not two separate jacks.

I did have problems with connecting it directly, so i had to mount a 1 kohm resister between speaker out and microphone in, at the jack. I don't know if this is going to alter the measurements.

You write "then you’ll need an outboard soundcard, OR a calibrated USB mic" but shouldn't I calibrate my sound card and then use a calibrated microphone for room corrections?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a UMIK-1...
But isn't the sound cart supposed to make the sweep and therefore it has to be calibrated.
Or what do I miss here...

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
When you use a UMIK-1 the soundcard is just generating the test signal. Soundcard outputs are generally very flat, roll off is more commonly on the inputs, which you don't use with a USB mic, so soundcard calibration isn't needed or appropriate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...

I didn't know that it was to calibrate the input only. Thought that it calibrated the output also.

I think I'm good to go further in the process now.

Thank you.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Loopback calibration calibrates input and output together, there's no way to separate which contributes to the measured result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts