Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read here about the N9 neutral gray "Winter Mist" by True Value. Is there a Behr paint that matches it? I'm used to using Behr paint and like it. I don't know anything about the quality of True Value paints. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Welcome to the Shack!

I'm pretty sure there is a Behr match, I'll have to look dig around and find it though.

There is a Valspar match, but I know that doesn't help you as far as Behr.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. What is the Valspar match? I think there's a store not too far away that sells Valspar. Is there a specific line or name of Valspar paint I want to use?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Harpmaker, thank you. In case I can't get the Valspar, does anyone know if there's a match for "Winter Mist" from Behr or Glidden? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Barney Fife,

You can get a color called "Snowfield" from Glidden. It's neutral, and it's RGB values are about 220. That's the closest to N9 that I'm aware of (more like an 8.6-8.7)...see below for the neutral Munsell shades.

Jim

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Harpmaker, thank you. In case I can't get the Valspar, does anyone know if there's a match for "Winter Mist" from Behr or Glidden? Thanks.
Barney,

No Lowe's, True Value's, Sherwin Williams, Ace Hardware, etc near you? Where in Wisconsin are you?

The reason we do not recommend Glidden or Behr products is because outside of the N7 that X-Rite gave us, nothing has been tested. Either by us or by the folks at EasyRGB. There was some data at one point in time from Glidden but the numbers were off a bit - enough to draw concern. The only thing we can attest to is that the paint card samples at Home Depot for some of the Glidden products did test neutral. However, a paint card sample is not a fan deck and without samples to back them up...:dunno: you won't get much of a recommendation from us.

If the numbers from Glidden had lined up, I think we could have had something for you. But they didn't.

mech

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. I bought the "Winter Mist" today from True Value, as I was wrong about getting the Valspar. I was unsure of True Value's paint quality, so I was looking for something I've used before. For what it's worth, the quart mix formula is:

Base: Pastel
Lamp black: 2.0
Exterior red: 0.5
Raw umber: 0.5

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The quality of True Value paint isn't the best out there. I'd say it's better than Walmart's ColorPlace brand but not as good as Behr, Valspar, or any of the other brands.

People have used it though and it works fine for our purpose.

The advantages of better quality paint are it covers better, meaning less paint and coats required, and it usually levels out better, meaning less or no roller marks once it's dried.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I was trying to find a match from Behr or another quality paint. I'll use it and see how it works. If anything, I could take a sample to Home Depot and they could match it with their computer.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I painted my screen (my 2nd screen iteration) with TV Winter Mountain, and it went on just fine. I don't think you'll have any problems. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts