Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about this program (REW) through my post in ComputerAudiophile. So I started reading about it, spent good 3 full days reading documentation and I went through several videos on youtube. Now, I understand how to setup the application and how to take readings and getting all graphs.

But than what to do with them. How to take this information and move the speakers to right position or by using this information, how to treat a room, is missing or I could not get it.

All new processors and receivers including the one I have has built-in equalizer and they come with mic. I believe the use of this application is beyond just changing few setting (adding filters) in the pre-amp or in the processor.

Is there a through video and training available in New York area, which walks me through, on room treatment using this application and how to figure out where to move or tweak the position of speakers and sub woofer for perfect sound.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

HERE is a link to a setup guide for getting good soundstage and imaging. The REW measurements will help you see that you have good frequency response matching between L & R for that setup process.

For room treatment, you should open a thread in our Home Audio Acoustics forum, where our experts can help you plan proper treatment approaches.

Other than online guides and help through these forums, I know of no formal training programs.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Welcome, trcns!
If there was a connect-the-dots guide, then you wouldn't need us :cunning: (just kidding)!

Painting a birds-eye view, the general steps to better HT sound are:
  1. Position speakers and subwoofer(s) for best sound.
  2. Improve room acoustics.
  3. Apply EQ/DSP to smooth frequency response (especially through xover region).

To get best soundstage and imaging, start with this discussion and this one.

To improve room acoustics, see the sticky threads here.

Others may approach this differently, but for REW help I would just make a measurement and post it in a new thread to ask if it looks good. Experts usually jump in to help. Sometimes it's better to get your feet wet to start the learning process. That's just my opinion, though. :eek:lddude:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

HERE is a link to a setup guide for getting good soundstage and imaging. The REW measurements will help you see that you have good frequency response matching between L & R for that setup process.

For room treatment, you should open a thread in our Home Audio Acoustics forum, where our experts can help you plan proper treatment approaches.

Other than online guides and help through these forums, I know of no formal training programs.
Thank you, Wayne! Beat me to the punch :boxer: :T :wave:

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
But than what to do with them. How to take this information and move the speakers to right position or by using this information, how to treat a room, is missing or I could not get it.
Yes, it is missing. I doubt you’ll find a measurement platform anywhere that comes with training beyond how to use the tool itself.

You find a number of articles on acoustics and how to interpret acoustics measurements here. Enjoy!

By the way, welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.