Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a new screen, going to a motorizied model with tension control. I see this 92in model for a good price...............http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_TensionFlat_16_9_Electric_Screen_92_p/fxt169s-92.htm

I am concerned and confused about best screen gain, my projector (Sony VPL VW 100 "Ruby" SXRD Projector, at 800 lumens it isnt the brightest model but not bad at all in dark room. My experience with it in ambient light is limited as I just got it and havent really watched a movie yet. It is up and mounted, I watched about 20 mins yesterday but got too busy and tired to play with it more.
My room is controlled, 14x24 and Projector is around 12ft from my desired 92in screen size (I am running a 92 now and want to keep it that way or as small as 84in)
The Sony specs at 800 ANSI lumens, 15000:1 contrast and according to the screen calculator at Projectorcentral my Projector is well within placement for a 1.4 gain screen.
What confuses me is when I read about hot spots and such, I usually just have one or two in room with me so off-axis seating angle is of little concern as its just not an issue enough to matter and room is only 14ft anyway.
So where I am at is wondering for a mainly movie application in a controlled room with only occasional need for maybe a 60w lamp on for sports when company is over will a 1.4 gain screen be a good choice or a red flag..............and if so why please?
The model I linked seems to be a good deal and I cant afford any more at this point, manual doesnt matter to me but I do want some tension control to combat screen wave so if there are cheaper or manual options please clue me in, there doesnt look to be any other gain options on that offering so 1.4 is something I would be forced to go with for that value, any thoughts?...........thanks so much! Cheers

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
More than likely it's probably not 1.4 gain. They state that it's a 'matte white fabric'. And from my limited experience, I have yet to see any matte white surface with a 1.4 gain. More than likely it's more like 1.0. Normally there has to be some sort of 'enhancement' to get a screen with a gain above 1-1.1.

But I haven't checked into any Focupix materials.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Chad,

Not having seen this screen, or even a sample of the material, we really can't give a firm answer to your question - some companies play games with gain figures and some don't. My guess is that the screen would probably work for you, but it would be prudent to ask if you can return the screen is it doesn't meet your needs before buying it. The shipping on this screen runs anywhere from about $40 to $70 depending on where you live, and I would expect they would not reimburse shipping charges if a non-defective screen is returned.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply and I do understand a firm answer is impossible so I appreciate the advice on return.
I guess the bottom line is I dont care if it is less gain then published, what I only care about is if I am danger of hot spots as I cant find this model with less gain. If it is indeed a stretch on their part to say it is 1.4 that would likely be a plus as far as concern for hot spots correct? Thanks for any more ideas!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thanks for reply and I do understand a firm answer is impossible so I appreciate the advice on return.
I guess the bottom line is I dont care if it is less gain then published, what I only care about is if I am danger of hot spots as I cant find this model with less gain. If it is indeed a stretch on their part to say it is 1.4 that would likely be a plus as far as concern for hot spots correct? Thanks for any more ideas!
The only screens I can compare the Focupix screen to are the Stewart white 1.3 and 1.5 gain screen samples I have seen. The 1.3 didn't look like it would hot spot, the 1.5 was iffy in my opinion. If the Focupix really does have a gain of 1.4 then it might give some mild hot spotting. If you are ceiling mounting your PJ then my guess is you will be OK.

BTW, the only way I know to increase the gain of a white screen is to make it glossier, and it doesn't take much before you have too much and get hot spotting.

Try to get a firm statement about whether this screen will hot spot or not before buying.

If you do get the Focupix screen, please take some photos during setup in your HT and give us a review. :T

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I ceiling mount so I think I may just go for it, I am 20 miles from PA line in Ohio so come down if you ever have the time! Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They had a 10% sale so that covered shipping so I went ahead and ordered it seeing how I am not out anything if I need to return it...................leap of faith time!
I will post impressions when its up, the trouble with the internet is information overload that often adds to confusion so I got tired of worry and just ordered it. Thanks all!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sit about 11 ft back and my speakers are 18in wide plus my drop ceiling is only 6'8 so the screen is ideal both for speakers and for how low it goes to the floor, my dad has a 106in screen and I find its just bigger but I dont feel I miss anything. My main focus is Hifi audio so the Projector and screen are an afterthought, I only went with Projector to avoid a screen in between speakers but with speakers being as wide as they are I also needed proper clearance from sidewalls for best sound possible that limits screen size.
I have put less than 600 hours on projectors in over 2 years but tons more in music, unless friends are over Liz and I dont watch movies down there much, we just stay up in living room usually.
I want a nice image but its not something I will ever go crazy on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts