Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Thanks, Todd, great review. This looks like a product that actually preforms.

And thanks Ethan! This could be turing into a special thread. It would be nice if you could add other product reviews with real world comparisons. Really nice if Ethan would keep deciphering data or show you how he does it (thinking "Sticky" with different products under it). Even more so since he says that NOBODY ELSE is doing it! This is the stuff that has made HTS such a great site!

Again, great work.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Quentin - It's definitely a great product and Dave Morrison is an incredibly nice guy and passionate about what IsoAcoustics is manufacturing. I hope a few members dip their toes into the pool and report back... and it is great to have folks like Ethan putting their own spin on results. Hoping he finds something of interest buried in the graphs.:T

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just received confirmation from IsoAcoustics concerning confirmed show dates for the coming year:

They are confirmed for CES, Axpona, RMAF and the Munich High End Show.

There is a good chance they will have a presence at the Newport Beach show and possibly Capitol Audio Fest and the New York Audio Show as well.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I sent my uncle a link to have him take a look and this was his comment:

"Old technology done a different way. MAPLESHADE is the answer. 40 yrs. of every tweak there is and I am sold."

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sent them an email on 11/30. No response yet. :sad: OK, I just called and they said they would try and get back to me today. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for your patience. As it happens, right after I posted asking Todd for measurements, I got swamped with a huge job editing a 2-hour music concert video for a friend. That's now done, and I have REW open with Todd's data in front of me. But I'm having trouble making sense of it. Todd, the sub-only comparison you posted shows a 5 dB volume difference over the "usable" bass range above 10 Hz. I don't understand how propping a sub up on a platform could reduce its output by 5 dB. 1 dB or less I guess could make sense. But 5 dB? Is there any chance something else changed?

For the 2-channel test the differences are all above the frequency range I'd expect a "vibration" product could make a difference. There's a small difference around 400 Hz, then not much difference until we get to 5 or 6 KHz. At those high frequencies, moving the speaker or microphone even half an inch could account for changes that large.

I also saved a waterfall decay times overlay, attached below, showing the 2-channel comparison with and without the stands. There is some difference in decay times, but it's really tiny so it's hard to imagine the difference could be audible. Since isolation stands like this claim to address "vibration problems," I'd expect a waterfall to be the most revealing of any differences!

Todd, I assume you don't live anywhere near me in western Connecticut, but if I'm wrong I'd be pleased to visit you and try a test together (if you still have the stands).

BTW, when looking for your location I noticed you listed solid state pinball as your first interest. My wife and I are huge into pinball, and every day we play our four vintage (solid state with CPU) machines ranging from 1979 (Gorgar) to 1994 (Rescue 911). If you're ever in my area please stop by to visit and play pinball. :T

--Ethan

I did take measurements...with speakers height adjusted to keep it an even playing ground. Below are images (1/3 smoothing) of subwoofer only, two-channel (full range), and two-channel with subs.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Ethan! Let me run the sub test again...and I'll send you the file....I ran a lot of sweeps - perhaps I erroneously deleted matching tests in the shuffle? Unfortunately, we are separated by quite a few miles. I'll send you PM.

And, yes... Pinball is one of my passions... Right now I have a 10 game collection with games like 1981's Black Hole... Up through Williams era games like Bram Stokers Dracula and Addams Family... To recent Stern's like Star Trek and Jersey Jack's Wizard of Oz. I enjoy restoring machines and do some repair work locally when I have time. Likewise, if you ever find yourself in DC, let me know!

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reviewing tweaks is a difficult task you did very well!
Just hypothesizing, likely it made less of a difference to the center channel since it is horizontal. By being horizontal the cabinet mass and driver forces are close to the mount and the mount works only along the driver axis whereas, on floorstanders, the speakers tries to "rock" front to back and makes use of the vertical stiffness/damping of the dampers as well.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts