Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Its official. This is the coldest its been in my lifetime. The temperature this morning was -40C (-40F) The all time record low was set back in 1962 at -43C

Anybody else getting unusually cold weather right now?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't be able to even move in that cold of weather.
Its a good excuse just to stay inside and watch movies :bigsmile: Going to work is not fun though its like trying to drive on a skating rink all the way to work.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Well, Its official. This is the coldest its been in my lifetime. The temperature this morning was -40C (-40F) The all time record low was set back in 1962 at -43C?
Man that's COLD!!..I can't begin to imagine how that feels..
But didn't I just read in your earlier post that it had been 36C.!!? What's going on? :scratch: :huh:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But didn't I just read in your earlier post that it had been 36C.!!? What's going on? :scratch: :huh:
This was last winter that it was so cold, in the summer it gets warm here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CCCCCCOLD?
It's been +100F since the middle of May but a couple of days ago it rained and dropped to the mid 90s ha ha. 97F today. :devil:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Pardon me for showing my ignorance here, but I didn't even know it could get that cold unless you were standing in the arctic circle? Also I would have lost the bet the humans could survive in those temperatures? I can't even imagine how cold -40C is, given that water goes a certain solidish state at 0C.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pardon me for showing my ignorance here, but I didn't even know it could get that cold unless you were standing in the arctic circle? Also I would have lost the bet the humans could survive in those temperatures? I can't even imagine how cold -40C is, given that water goes a certain solidish state at 0C.
The temperature swing between summer and winter can be as much as 65C as I said in my other thread its been really hot here (in the low 30'sC for a week on two ocations) in the winter it gets even colder as you go farther north (Edmonton is not that far north) its regularly -50 or even -60C in the northwest teritories. Believe it or not you do get used to it and you still go outside I spend sometimes over an hour removing snow off the sidewalks with our tractor at work in those temperatures, you just dress warm. There is lots of indoor shopping here including the worlds largest shopping mall and most of our downtown is connected by pedways and tunnels that also connect to our subway system even in the winter there is alot to do including some great winter festivals.
In the Southern US I hear all the time that you have temperatures of well over 110F I think the same thing, "how do you survive that?" The cold can be escaped from by just dressing warmer but there is only so much you can do if its over 100F as your body looses its ability to cool its self.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
so does the water freeze in your pipes? how do you get water into the house? and do you need a fridge during winter?

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the Southern US I hear all the time that you have temperatures of well over 110F I think the same thing, "how do you survive that?" The cold can be escaped from by just dressing warmer but there is only so much you can do if its over 100F as your body looses its ability to cool its self.
I think it has to do with theory of natural selection? The ones that can't handle it don't survive. More people die from the heat in Chicago when the temp is 95F than in Texas when it's 105F. And there is night sailing with 90F air temp and 85F water temp.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think it has to do with theory of natural selection? The ones that can't handle it don't survive. More people die from the heat in Chicago when the temp is 95F than in Texas when it's 105F. And there is night sailing with 90F air temp and 85F water temp.:bigsmile:
Natural selection or climatisation? Natural selection happens over generations where climatisation can take as little as 3 months.

Doesn't surprise me about more people dying at 95F, they had a heat wave in france a few years back and people were falling from their twigs all over the place, yet the average temptrature rarely hit 33C. In Australia for the same thing to happen the temprature would have to hit almost 50C for week or two.

If this thread has done one thing, it has convinced me that although I would love to see canada I don't think a temp drop of 50C will assist in me enjoying the stay.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so does the water freeze in your pipes? how do you get water into the house? and do you need a fridge during winter?
All the water lines are well below the frost line about 8Ft down (The frost line is basically where the ground down to about 4 ft below the surface is frozen but below that stays above freezing) so the water is nice and cold but never freezes. Almost everyone has basements here so the water lines come in trough the wall or floor of the basement. We have well insulated homes and good heating using forced air furnaces so it never get cold inside.
Yes we still use fridges and freezers just like anybody else but in the winter we if our freezer dies we have a built in one just by putting stuff outside :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also the humidity has alot to do with how well we can cope with the hot temperature. 40C with a relative humidity of 80% is far worse than 45C and only 50% humidity. Chicago has higher humidity than Texas in most cases from my understanding.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If this thread has done one thing, it has convinced me that although I would love to see canada I don't think a temp drop of 50C will assist in me enjoying the stay.
Seriously, you should come. these cold temperatures are only during the winter (November-March) and only for about two weeks. The summer (May-September) is fantastic temperatures are great and Alberta for example where I live has the Rockie mountains something that you can not appreciate unless you see them in person.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Seriously, you should come. these cold temperatures are only during the winter (November-March) and only for about two weeks. The summer (May-September) is fantastic temperatures are great and Alberta for example where I live has the Rockie mountains something that you can not appreciate unless you see them in person.
It is on my list of things I'm going to do when the kids are old enough to look after themselves. I have a small list of places I want to visit:

Scotland, England, Jersery/Guarnsey, Canada, alabama (want to say hi to Sonnie), some parts of mid america (maybe florida), New Zealand.

Should keep me occupied for about 4-5 Monthes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts