Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything peculiar to using this AVR that I should be aware of?

My present AVR is a Onkyo TX DS575X, which is about 12 years old. It has worked flawlessly until a few weeks ago when it developed the annoying habit of resetting itself when powered down. I don't appreciate having to reset all the inputs parameters and speaker settings when it powers up.

I currently do not have a sub, so the setup should be easy, right?

I've never used Audessey, so is that any thing that I should be aware of when using it?

Are the set-up instructions in the manual easy to follow?

Will I find happiness and fulfillment from using this AVR?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts

My present AVR is a Onkyo TX DS575X, which is about 12 years old. It has worked flawlessly until a few weeks ago when it developed the annoying habit of resetting itself when powered down. I don't appreciate having to reset all the inputs parameters and speaker settings when it powers up.

I've never used Audessey, so is that any thing that I should be aware of when using it?

Hello,
The TX-NR709 will represent a major update over your current Onkyo. Setup will be quite easy regardless of if you are using a Subwoofer. Unlike your current AVR, this AVR (like virtually all current AVR's) is heavily dependent on Setup through On Screen Display.

Audyssey is quite User Friendly. As soon as you plug in the supplied Microphone into the Jack for the Microphone, your Display will immediately walk you through Audyssey Setup. And when it is finished, the AVR will tell you to unplug the Microphone.

Without knowing your background, I cannot say how easy or difficult you will find Setup to be. I am only saying this due to the fairly large span between AVR's. Also, they have more in common with Computers than HiFi Components in some ways. I cannot recommend enough Downloading the Owners Manual to acclimate yourself to the features. It would be ideal if your Router was adjacent to where you are going to setup the 709. However, new to the x09 Series, there is an optional WiFi Adapter so it is not as important as before this current Series.

Regardless, we will be here to answer any questions you might have and to help you get the most out of your new AVR. Also, Dayton makes a really nice Subwoofer that can be found for well under $150 and will add a great deal to your HT.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JJ, Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am a retired Electronics Engineer with background in microelectronics and hard dirve reliability/failure analysis. The AV stuff seems to be full of technology that I am not familiar with, although I do understand the basic concepts, the terminology sometimes confuses me.

I do not currently have a router as I use dial-up. Next month I will have high-speed internet.

I am intending to get either a SVS or Rythmik sub within the next 6 months to replace a dead Polk sub.

My AVS system seems to have reached the end of it's natural life. I just replace the speakers with Ascend 340SEs and now the sub is confirmed to have given up the ghost and the AVR is mis-acting. It is time to get with the 21st century.

I will download the AVR manual and read it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
JJ, Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am a retired Electronics Engineer with background in microelectronics and hard dirve reliability/failure analysis. The AV stuff seems to be full of technology that I am not familiar with, although I do understand the basic concepts, the terminology sometimes confuses me.

I do not currently have a router as I use dial-up. Next month I will have high-speed internet.

I am intending to get either a SVS or Rythmik sub within the next 6 months to replace a dead Polk sub.

My AVS system seems to have reached the end of it's natural life. I just replace the speakers with Ascend 340SEs and now the sub is confirmed to have given up the ghost and the AVR is mis-acting. It is time to get with the 21st century.

I will download the AVR manual and read it.
Hello,
You are going to be just fine. Love the SVS or Rythmik ideas. And the Ascends. I would also include HSU Research and Elemental Designs (eD) into the queue.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern was to make sure that there were no gottas or "thats not a defect, it's a feature" that I would need to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The x09's have been out for a decent amount of time and they have gotten truly stellar Reviews from both Professional Reviewers and Owners. There is no Achilles Heel so to speak. I am really looking forward to reading your impressions as not many people go that many years between AVR's. The HDMI Era has really changed everything.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
The x09's have been out for a decent amount of time and they have gotten truly stellar Reviews from both Professional Reviewers and Owners. There is no Achilles Heel so to speak. I am really looking forward to reading your impressions as not many people go that many years between AVR's. The HDMI Era has really changed everything.
Cheers,
JJ
I do not expect the increase in power to have any noticeable effect. I do anticipate that the Audessey will be a great benefit, especially when I get a sub. The HDMI will certainly simply the interconnections. I expect that the network abilities will prove very advantageous in the future as that is certainly where technology is headed.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
MikeBiker said:

It sounds as though you got many years of good use out of your previous Onkyo receiver. I recently picked up the 809 and found the Audyssey to be a great tool for my speaker calibration. Other than the firmware update the setup wasn't to bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts