Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, hope the pics work. These pics were taken after all the hard work and lugging this back breaking 45kg cube into the house from the garage! Pls note that my woodworking/sub building skills are that of a newbie, (need to fix that veneer blemish), but this has been one great experience and am in a way looking forward to building my next.. :)

Top & Side view of the cube:

Front view:

Back view:

Cube stuffed with speaker stuffing view:

Front view with speaker assembled:

Sub in with the rest of the gear:

cheers guys!
I know I'm digging up an old thread here... But did the OP actually edge band veneer an entire sub enclosure? If so, looks pretty good :)

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Did run it in with a 100-5hz sweep tone on repeat for an hour yesterday. One thing i could immediatly tell is that this driver needs some juice and as Mike said earlier, this baby needs around 900w to be in the optimal zone before overexcursion kicks in
:-O this was done in the enclosure? or free air?

I'm pretty sure that the sub will sound better once the coil's loosen up with frequent listening.
let's hope the coils stay tight and the suspension lossens up a touch ;) :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know I'm digging up an old thread here... But did the OP actually edge band veneer an entire sub enclosure? If so, looks pretty good :)
What is the reason for the edge veneer being used instead of the proper veneer? It looks like a lot more work to veneer with that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
No real reason at all. My local hardware store was throwing away these veneer tapes at $2 per roll, so i bought a few packs and did them. Yes they were a hassle but i wanted to do this on the cheap.

Update - Nearly a year later.

Yes, the coils have loosen up heaps and i've tweaked them a bit as well. Added 4 pillows as stuffing and it seemed to tighten up the sound more. I'm very impressed with the sound now, bass is very fast,tight and tuneful. Still havent got off my bum to equalise and run some REW measurements..will do them once i am on holidays this xmas! :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry to be digging up an old thread but how big is your listening area? I'm considering building some IXL18's into sealed cabinets as well and I'd like to get an idea of how many it will take.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts