Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Maelstrom-X really worth the money over the IXL or SDX15? I am getting ready to start construction on my dedicated HT room and trying to figure out the sub situation. I would really like to have 120+ db's at 30hz but I have Magnepan mains and really need a good SQ sub at the same time. I want to have my cake and eat it to. :bigsmile: I would like to stay under 12cubic feet per enclosure and I was planning on one in the front of the room and one in the back. Any advice would be AWESOME!

Matt

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I had a budget of 800 for the subs and the amp but I bought yard furniture with it for the wife. :bigsmile: Now, I could probebly go a little higher if I need to because she feels bad and loved. :devil:
They all look nice on Win but the Maelstorm is so much more $$, just trying to figure out if it is worth it and how well it will work for SQ.

Matt

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone used one of these in an LLT or used one period? :scratch:

Matt

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
mdrake said:
I would really like to have 120+ db's at 30hz but I have Magnepan mains and really need a good SQ sub at the same time. I want to have my cake and eat it to.
LLT for sure. The 120db would imply you probably do like to crank it. Are you calibrated to reference, and if so, what master volume level do you typically watch movies at?

If you are certain you don't want to build two subs, then I would go for the Maelstrom X LLT and not have to potentially question anything a few months down the road - you'll love either driver initially, but if you do like to crank it, you'll be able to take advantage of more displacement capability with the Maelstrom.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Maybe I should just go Maelstorm. :bigsmile:

I made my living doing high-end car audio for a number of years, ran live sound and built a few house subs here and there but this home theater stuff is all new to me. I have been playing with audio since I was a kid and love to learn, so this is a new frontier to learn. What do you mean when you say "Are you calibrated to reference, and if so, what master volume level do you typically watch movies at?" How do I go about doing this? I am all ears. :) I am going to purchase an SPL meter I used to have one when I did live sound but lost it.

Matt

·
Banned
361 Posts
calibrated to reference: I beieve there is a particular FR curve that can be used to try and get your system to match as close as possible, and doing so is calibrating :D

my uneducated guess ;)

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A pair of IXL's and Maelstroms will both produce over 120 db from 20 to 80 hz. The IXL's will use all of it's 22mm Xmax to do it and the Maelstrom will use 22mm of it's 33 mm to do it. Both with an input power of 1700 watts. The Maelstroms would be using two thirds of its excursion capabilities at the output levels you require.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reference level = Dolby reference level which is 105dB peak SPL at the listening position for the main channels (7.0) and 115dB for the LFE channel. Using Dolby reference test tones, like those on the AVIA DVD, each channel is calibrated to 85dB, since the tones are at -20dBf (20dB lower than peak).

Now when you watch a movie with a Dolby soundtrack at that volume setting, you'll be listening at Dolby reference level.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Reference level = Dolby reference level which is 105dB peak SPL at the listening position for the main channels (7.0) and 115dB for the LFE channel. Using Dolby reference test tones, like those on the AVIA DVD, each channel is calibrated to 85dB, since the tones are at -20dBf (20dB lower than peak).

Now when you watch a movie with a Dolby soundtrack at that volume setting, you'll be listening at Dolby reference level.
um, ya, that's what I was trying to say, just using different words.... :scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
mdrake said:
What do you mean when you say "Are you calibrated to reference, and if so, what master volume level do you typically watch movies at?" How do I go about doing this? I am all ears. I am going to purchase an SPL meter I used to have one when I did live sound but lost it.
kryptonite said:
calibrated to reference: I beieve there is a particular FR curve that can be used to try and get your system to match as close as possible, and doing so is calibrating
It doesn't deal with FR, it's just a measure of output magnitude - if you are calibrated to reference, and I am calibrated to reference, then when I say I listen at 10db below reference level, you can turn your master volume to -10 and we would both be listening at exactly the same level, even though we live in two different houses miles apart.

Your receiver should have some built in test tones for each channel, and in your instruction book, it should note what spl level you should aim for to achieve reference level. With your spl meter positioned around ear level at your seat, set your master volume level to 0 (this should be fairly loud). Now, using the individual channel controls in your receiver, adjust the volume up or down for each channel until they are all playing each tone at 75db or 85db, depending on what your instruction book says you should calibrate to. Include the sub as part of this calibration process.

When that is all said and done, you are clibrated to reference. You can listen at any master volume you want, but now you will be on an equal playing field with everyone else. 0 = reference level, and anything less than that will show up as a - on your master volume. So for example, I watch movies somewhere between -10 and -15. When listening at reference level, each speaker channel can potentially reproduce output levels up to 105db and the LFE channel up to 115db (if your system is capable). When you factor in the redirected bass from each speaker that goes to the sub if using say an 80hz crossover, demands on the sub can get up to ~120db.

Depending on how loud you listen, it will make it easier for us to decide exactly how much subwoofer you need. If you listen at or just below reference level, you'll definitely want two subs.

·
Banned
361 Posts
That was very informative... This would have been nice for my car-audio days, since all the kiddies like to say "I only had the knob at 15 out of 35 and it was already that loud! And my gains were barrely up too!"

Good to know.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW, guys thanks all for all the help and the GREAT explanation on reference!!!!!!!!!! This forum is the best on the web! :) You guys are great. I began construction on my home theater this weekend and I will be asking TONS more questions, hope that is ok?

Matt

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys talked me into the Maelstrom-x! I just finished the box for the Maelstrom-x and I figured I would update the thread. Thanks guys!! I will post pics of my ugly box in my HT thread just for Mike P. :R

Matt

·
Registered
430 Posts
So where are these pictures? Were you able to push the box size past 12ft? Do you have room for a second identical subwoofer, ie, do you have room for expansion (insert devilish smiley here)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts