Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at CSS and saw the PRs, and tossing the idea of a 18 " IXL and dual PRs, wondering what size box I can get away with and would the 1600 or 2100 grams work best?

Was just thinking I can keep it relatively small if I use PRs over an LLT, as I "can" squeeze and LLT but I lack tools and an area to build one myself, and to get one built was priced between 375-high 400s for the Neo Dan easy button.

But I can slap together a cube no problem as it's pretty basic :dumbcrazy:

As my other post, movies music and mostly Cod for video games, all about the same time to each for usage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any info out there that shows the displacement of the sub and the 2 prs?

Then I have to figure bracing as well along with displacement.:sweat:

Edit: Also Thanks again Mike!

·
Banned
165 Posts
The discussion here is very similar to what I was debating when working out my design. I'm using a different driver but please have a look at my build thread. It is a 25in cube with 2 2100g PRs.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/18068-maelstrom-x-2x18-page-ranking-25in-cube-16hz-build-thread.html

As far as the displacement of the PRs, I believe the CSS ones are in fact from Acoustic Elegance. They say 3" peak to peak for Xmax but I don't think that's accurate seeing as how they only have 1.5" roll surrounds. That would limit them to an absolute maximum of 3" (38mm Xmax). They'll be fine anyway, your driver will hit xmax before they begin having any trouble. Using my EP2500 bridged I can only manage 20mm Xmax on the PRs no matter how hard I try (measured using the method described by Linkwitz using a triangular piece of paper taped to the PR).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Factor in about 0.12 cubes for the IXL 18 as per Mark, and Bob from CSS said that John from A.E. said there isn't much for the PRs

yes CSS PRs are AE ones ;)

Next question, Bash 500 or O audio 500?

Or, more expensive but EP 2500 and Reckhorn B-1?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really, would like to stay plate. Also the EP 2500 is also $470 or so from that guitar store in Calgary.

Was just wondering if the 0 Audio does closer to what it says and if it was better set up out of the box over the Bash 500, I should probably find something with a 14-15 htz HP/F.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not really, would like to stay plate. Also the EP 2500 is also $470 or so from that guitar store in Calgary.

Was just wondering if the 0 Audio does closer to what it says and if it was better set up out of the box over the Bash 500, I should probably find something with a 14-15 htz HP/F.
I have used both amplifiers and I would choose the O Audio every time. It's built nicer, and seems to put more power out.

Note: This was NOT a head to head comparison. It's rather unfair to compare the two set ups I had, but over all I think the O Audio would have done a better job regardless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah they do iirc $475 I can get the behringer for that much and the 1000 rms dayton amp does just over 800 if I remember from the AVS test that Chuck did.

So many options. im probably going to end up with the bash or O audio

Waiting for the tax return to get the PRs and amp, so have a week or two yet to decide.:spend:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts