Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered one this morning! 105" wide 2.35 acoustically transparent. I was told 4 weeks and I will have it. I will share my impressions since it was this forum that led me to Jamestown

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Waiting to see what your review of it is... :T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received the screen yesterday but am still waiting on another part from FedEx which should be here 4pm today!
Very well packaged. I will post more pictures of everything unboxed and as I put it together once I receive the rest of the pieces. It will probably be slow going as our first was born on Sunday so lots of distractions.

ForumRunner_20140531_094906.png

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it all put together. It was really easy the frame came in 6 pieces and the fabric was obviously cut and grommeted. The hardest part (read still not very difficult) was getting an even tension across the screen surface. The fastening system is really ingenious - its zip ties and spacers. The whole thing weighs about 70 lbs and is a 105 inch wide 2.35. The only complaint I have if you can call it that is the curve was slightly more pronounced then I thought it would be so I have to redo my front false wall to make everything look pretty. I will also post pictures once I get it up and on the wall.

ForumRunner_20140612_183648.png

ForumRunner_20140612_183702.png

ForumRunner_20140612_183719.png

ForumRunner_20140612_183731.png

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Looks great! Are you using an anamorphic lens with it too? Have you tried watching a movie with it yet... How does it look?:T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be using an anamorphic lens from XEIT their Crystalmorphic 5E. I have not watched anything as my projector, lens, and slide are in Madison WI and I have not been able to make it up there between work and the new baby girl. I will post some screenshots and impressions when I get everything set up - hopefully next week.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I will be using an anamorphic lens from XEIT their Crystalmorphic 5E. I have not watched anything as my projector, lens, and slide are in Madison WI and I have not been able to make it up there between work and the new baby girl. I will post some screenshots and impressions when I get everything set up - hopefully next week.
:T:T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided on a curved screen for two reasons...
1. I like the extra immersion afforded by a curved screen
2. I have a lumen challenged (LED) projector in the Runco Q750i and my room is only 3ft wider than my screen so I dont have to worry about viewing cone.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Congrats on the new screen. I will be ordering AT 2.35 but not sure if it should be curved or straight. Very interested in your opinion once you get it up & running. BTW what is "viewing cone"?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Congrats on the new screen. I will be ordering AT 2.35 but not sure if it should be curved or straight. Very interested in your opinion once you get it up & running. BTW what is "viewing cone"?
Viewing cone is basically the angle at which the gain of a screen drops by 50% doubled. It would be the area in which you would want your seating area.

So if a screen's gain drops by half at 20 degrees, the viewing cone would be 40 degrees. And anywhere within 40 degrees off axis from the center of the screen would be within the viewing cone.

Make sense?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Got it. Cheers!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the projector and lens hung yesterday and all I can say is wow! The image is absolutely amazing and I am truly glad I went curved. My pincushon is less than half of 1 percent in the corners. Also to watch a movie and hear the sound come from behind the screen was amazing. We watched Kung Fu Panda and there is a part where Po pushes a cart across the screen with a squeaky wheel and the sound seemed to stay with the cart as it moved across the screen. I love it. Also I have to add that Runco, XEIT Optics, and Cineslide all make fantastic products which compliment this great screen. As soon as I figure out the key to taking good screenshots I will post a few.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Wow that is more curve than I thought they would have. So no way a regular projector will focus across that' will it. So unless you use a lens then the curve does not work. But I talk to the owner of Jamestown and he said 2.35 movies though a regular projector no lens will work. I could see a curve half that would maybe work for a non lens setup. :ponder:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was a little afraid when I put it together that i would either be unable to get it focused properly or the excessive curve would be distracting but I was wrong on both accounts. I have perfect focus corner to corner and the curve makes the image pop really well. I am using an anamorphic lens though.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My question I guess was without the anamorphic lens then focus will not work. Have you tried it without the lens to see. Their is also another company called silver ticket screens that sell curved sreens also on Amazon. They get great reviews and have many instock for a great price, Thanks Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts