Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
If its not to much trouble could you see how 2.35 movies will look without using a lens. Right now I watch 2.35 movies on a Carada 1.78 screen. I len shift the pic down to bootom edge and mask the top' so no bars. I mostly watch 2.35 movies so I want to get a bigger screen. Do I really need one. NO. But the bug has bitten, My 110in is 96in wide. I have room to go to about 130 wide not counting the frame. So I guess it would be worth it. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you but when I put a test pattern up and zoom the picture out to fill the width of the screen the focus is still razor sharp. The cross hatch pattern boxes at the outer edges of the screendid become a fuzz smaller than the center of the screen. This would be expected I guess as the light doesnt have as far to travel.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Thanks for your effort. So your saying without any anamorphic lens in place your projector when zoom out to fill the curve 2.35 screen was pretty well focus across. That is interesting. Many say it cant be done' but I wonder how many have really tried. How do like watching movies on the curve. Is it distracting or weird' or does it really improve the movie you think. I am about to build a new front. And want to decide between a 125in 2.35 flat or curve. It would be a while before I ever get a anamorphic lens. Thanks again for your help. Any scren shots would be great also. Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The issue really wasnt with focus but with distortion. The test pattern I had up there was in perfect focus across the screen the only issues were the grid boxes were approximately 1 millimeter narrower at the very edges than at the center. Obviously that would unnoticeable watching regular content and was unnoticeable with the cross hatch I only measured it because I was curious not because I saw a difference. Also there was a little barrel distortion but less than 1 centimeter so I wouldn't give that much thought. I love the curve it helps keep the light off the side walls and I feel like it draws me into the movie more. The image has a nuance of depth that is very subtle but pleasing to me. I will try to get some good screenshots this afternoon but I have yet to figure out how to take good ones.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Man I can just imagine being enveloped by a curved screen. I think it will have to wait a while until I will be able to do this so I will have to vicariously live through you for a while

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought the 120" (non-curved; non-transparent) screen from them and I do like it but, like this post, I'm having a horrible time getting the curves out. Mine didn't have the twist-ties to help pull them out. I have to manually pull the screen by hand while tightening/loosening the screws and that is not easy at all. Couple that with it hangs very differently than the way it behaves if you 'sit' it on the floor. I've got most of them out but need to do more and the only way is to do it while it's mounted to the wall which makes it difficult.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Thanks again for your thoughts. They are much appreciated. Their really is not much info on curve screens out their.I am bad at screen shots to. But if you have time that would be swell of what the pic looks like without the anamorphic lens. Do you think it would be worth it to get a curve screen even without using a anamorphic lens' but wityh the hopes of getting one sometime down the road. They come up use over on AVS once in a while. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an extra 140" acoustically transparent screen that I purchased for over $1,000. If anyone is interested with a reasonable offer, I'd be happy to provide. It's brand new but my projector works best for flat screen so I purchased an additional flat screen version of the same thing.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts