Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last month I decided to jump into buying a real 120" 2,35:1 home theater screen but I found many manufacturers were very pricey in the size that I wanted. I was checking out eBay and found a guy who manufactures screen to order and the price was very reasonable so I contacted him and placed an order and it arrived Monday March 7/11

Jamestown Home Theater Screens take about 10 days to manufacturer mine took a little longer due to some delays on his end.

The box came well packaged delivered by UPS and there was no damage to the box or the contents inside.

The screen is made of Aluminum square tube and Cabinet grade hardwood plywood. The tube is attached to the plywood with machine bolts and nuts embedded into the wood to allow for proper tension of the screen material later during assembly of the screen.

The pre-upholstered black velvet on the wood frame looks and fits very well and works very well for maximum light absorption.

The entire frame attaches together with pre drilled holes in the square tube and makes a nice solid fit once fully assembled.

The frame has a nice center brace down the middle that adds to the solid construction and prevents warping of the frame once the screen material is in place and tension added.

The High Definition Cinema Quality Matte White screen is made of Multi-layer PVC based material and on my order has a 1.2 gain.
The material is cut with tabs all the way around that slide between the woof frame and the aluminum tubes, by loosening the bolts in the tubes you can simply slide the screen material between them.

Once this process is done all the way around you simply start placing tension on each tab and tighten down the bolts all the way around working your way around.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Once all the creases have been removed the screen is ready for mounting on the wall with the supplied bracket that works very well.
The corners and two joints along the top and bottom rails are very well hidden from view unless you look closely.

With the screen mounted and covering my old painted on screen (you can see it peaking out of the bottom) The wall is now full and looks rather impressive.
My compromise is that I had to mount it higher than I would have liked due to the speakers I have but it will work and Im not going to beat myself up over that small imperfection.

The entire assembly took me 2hrs and I did it all by myself so it is certainly doable by one person. The entire screen weighs about 30lbs and looks really good. The constriction and build quality is very good and i think for the money is very well worth it. I would even say that it is as good as screen costing at least three times as much.

If your looking for a good quality screen but not breaking the bank this is defiantly worth a look.

You can contact Jamestown Home Theater Screens @ (423) 285-3333 M-S 9AM-7PM Eastern or just go to eBay and search out Member "shoppingdeals"

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hmm, if one could get him to put two cross members a bit further apart instead of one in the center, and replace the screen material with Seymour CenterStage XD...

At the prices he's asking for the screen kit, its about the same cost as just the aluminum T-slot frame materials for a screen that size...and turnkey.

Thanks for the review Tony, sounds like a nice option.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the picture quality?
Im going to test that out tonight. But looking at the last photo the camera flash did not reveal any hot-spotting.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
understandable, aren't we all :)

I have a piece about 1.5"x 3" that I could send you, is that big enough?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im happy with it, I think it will work well with my AE4000

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
understandable, aren't we all :)

I have a piece about 1.5"x 3" that I could send you, is that big enough?
I'd like something bigger if he'd give it to me. Something the size of a sheet of paper. I'll call him one of these days. Remind me of it once in awhile if I forget. :T

·
Registered
89 Posts
What are you supposed to do with the extra "tab" material after you have the screen all tightened up? Hopefully you're not going to tell us that you're supposed to cut it off...

If that's the case, what would you do if you ever had to retention the screen?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is lots of room to leave about an inch of tab still on the other side of the tube.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Did some testing of picture quality and I am very happy with its image quality. Im not going to bother with posting pictures as thats not really going to show what it looks like in real life but trust me its good better than my painted on screen for sure. Now I just need to move my projector back about a foot as i cant zoom out far enough to fill the 2,25:1 screen LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
LOL, I was going to write a review and I see that you already have one...however I ordered the High Contrast grey in 16:9 format, I wish now that I had gone with a large 2.35 setup and settled for a smaller 16:9 TV picture. Mine just arrived and I will not have time to get to it till the weekend :foottap: it's killing me, but I have too much other pressing stuff that I need to get done...

So I am going to calibrate mine (LT and HCFR) and I am taking pictures of each step, I have only unboxed it but will take pictures throughout the process. I will take readings from the screen and provide any additional information that anyone might want. I was originally going to with an elite and read some good things and figured that at the price it was a good deal, it does take some time from order to delivery but he (james) is very good at communication and letting you know potential ship date. I had samples from all of the major companies and it appears to from my looking at it lighter than the elite but darker than the Dalite HCCV material, I might have preferred something a little darker but I think it will be fine...if anyone wants me to post pics of the grey screen and calibration readings let me know and I will be glad too, probably be next week when I get to it....one more thing I will be running a mits HC4000 with mine...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, Please feel free to add any comments to this thread I was hoping that maybe this will get a sticky but We will see if thats acceptable for this sort of thing. Any pictures and thoughts are very welcome as well :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My painted screen was made using Bahr ultra white and crafting silver paint from Home depot but sadly Home depot does not carry the crafting silver paint any more. At least I have not seen it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well my screen came in on wednesday, but I have been so busy that it wasn't untill late saturday night that I got it put together and then late sunday I was able to get it up on the wall....all I can say is WOW, the screen made a huge difference and the picture looks amazing...I watched one movie with me and the kids, and it was a DVD and it was just awesome...still need to calibrate it which I will hopefully get to this week...

FYI...I went with a Jamestown HC grey screen, 16:9, 106"...I had samples from most of the mfg, I liked the elite Cinegrey but was $150 more than the Jamestown. The jamestown grey is somewhere between elite and dalite HCCV material, so it doesn't do as good as a job with ambient light like the elite cinegrey but I think it will be fine...watching movies is just going to be so much fun...:D

I'll try to take some screen shots, and see what I can come up with...

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I am torn between the Jamestown matte white and HC grey. I have an Epson 8500UB and although I feel I won't be 100% happy with black levels with the white I may purchase the white now knowing the next projector will have better blacks. Thoughts on this anyone?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I am torn between the Jamestown matte white and HC grey. I have an Epson 8500UB and although I feel I won't be 100% happy with black levels with the white I may purchase the white now knowing the next projector will have better blacks. Thoughts on this anyone?
Your PJ can have the best black levels in the world, but if there will be any amount of ambient light in the room (or if the walls and ceiling of the room are white or very light colored) the image on a white screen WILL take a hit. Unless your PJ has great blacks AND you have a dedicated HT with dark walls/ceiling, it's hard to go wrong with a gray screen.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts