Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am torn between the Jamestown matte white and HC grey. I have an Epson 8500UB and although I feel I won't be 100% happy with black levels with the white I may purchase the white now knowing the next projector will have better blacks. Thoughts on this anyone?
Well I just got the HC grey from jamestown, and it really washes out in ambient light, I wished I had gone with the elite cinegrey, but something I will have to live with. Don;t get me wrong if your not going to be dealing with ambient light it throws up a Great Picture and will be awesome for watching movies...I think I can go with a floor lamp and be fine but will be interesting when watching football in the fall, but I think closing the blinds will get me by....btw keep this in mind I am using a mits HC4000 which is much brighter than your 8500UB, I think the HC grey from jamestown would be a great fit and is a good compromise between something darker and a white screen...It is close to da-lite HCCV material...I'll try to get some screenshots up to help...

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
btw keep this in mind I am using a mits HC4000 which is much brighter than your 8500UB, I think the HC grey from jamestown would be a great fit and is a good compromise between something darker and a white screen.
Thanks to those that responded. I am in a light controlled room with black/really dark surfaces. Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks to those that responded. I am in a light controlled room with black/really dark surfaces. Decisions, decisions!
If that is the case then I would go for the jamestown grey, it's really light but slightly darker than the white..I'll try to get some pics up tonight...

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I'm still working on best way to do pics, these are still darker then on the screen but thought I would throw them out there:

This is from the TRON Bluray, 106" 16:9 jamestown HC grey screen, like I said the image is much brighter in person still need to figure out how to adjust my pics...Mits HC4000 not calibrated yet :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hmm, if one could get him to put two cross members a bit further apart instead of one in the center, and replace the screen material with Seymour CenterStage XD...

At the prices he's asking for the screen kit, its about the same cost as just the aluminum T-slot frame materials for a screen that size...and turnkey.

Thanks for the review Tony, sounds like a nice option.
I went ahead and implemented the option I mentioned above: Jamestown frame + Seymour A/V CenterStage XD acoustically transparent DIY material - works great! 136" wide, 64" high, "CIA" aspect ratio more or less; JVC RS-20 projector.

Here's a few pics, check my build thread for more details / screen shots:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just a quick update, its been about 8 months and I am still very happy with this screen. It has not sagged or stretched in any way and the image quality is very good as far as I can tell.
I would still recommend this screen for anyone on a budget that does not want to take on the painting options that we promote here at the Shack :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks Tony for the update. I am actually debating between the Jamestown or Visual Apex (white) screen.

You got any input on the VA fixed screens to make my decision easier?
:D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have not seen the VA in action so I cant really give an opinion. Sorry

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
My Fiance purchased the Jamestown 134" for me in August of 2011 and I am very happy with it. The only thing is I wish I would have went bigger! :T

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I have been enjoying my Jamestown screen as well. I didn't do a good job of getting the bottom pieces aligned/straight so need to dismantle and do it again. I expect that is due to user error on my part.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Grey is better suited if the room its being used in is not able to be made completely dark or the light output of the projector is not that great. Otherwise white is best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
so when you say completely dark , do you mean dark walls,floor,ceiling? and full light control

what if you had light to med gray ceiling and carpet with full light control with 90% of the time watching movies.

the other 10% you could through in day time watching and sports

projector i am looking at is the epson 5020ub?

thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, as long as you can block out most of the outside light and make the room dark then a white screen is the best if you watch sports and other stuff with lights on then a grey screen would be better suited for the room.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, as long as you can block out most of the outside light and make the room dark then a white screen is the best if you watch sports and other stuff with lights on then a grey screen would be better suited for the room.
thanks, i think i am getting it now..

maybe i will take a pic of my room in the day time and post it up

·
Registered
34 Posts
Skyline Eris? :blink: There's Skyline with their own screens and there's 3M's Eris. :) I think you should address this question to Jamestown themselves.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts