Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After many questions and tons of research I started my theater room in the basement of our new home. Now I don't have all the fancy blueprints, and designs that some of you guys have created. With the help of my father and a few friends we dived in and tackled the room. I hope you guys enjoy the pictures, and please feel free to shout out some comments and suggestions. I will add all of the equipment list and so forth a little later in the thread. Enjoy............

Little sneak peak here! We built the walls to go in towards the screen to focus your attention to the screen. You can also notice the hidden door we built. I will give a little more info on the door later.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Looks pretty good. Why did you chop off the front corners of the room?

Bryan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The idea came about because I was building a hidden room in one corner and I had a sump pump in the other corner. I needed the extra room to move around in both areas. That was the best idea we came up with at the time and I thought it looked pretty decent. I have seen a few other rooms online and in magazines that sort of had the same look. It worked out for us and we have plenty of room to move around in those spots if the pump ever goes out, and in the hidden room we will install all of the electronics. Here are a few more shots.

Update 8/10/12 --Room will be drywalled on 8/11/12 --

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some more pictures of my hidden door and the hinges I used.

I also added some 2 x 4's in the rafters to install the rackeprojector bracket later. This will give me a solid fountation and no worries down the road.

Here is a shot form the back of the theater looking towards the screen

Update: 8/12/12 - Theater room drywalled

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I'm seeing that door correctly it looks like it opens into the hidden room. In my mind you would be better opening it outwards (into the HT) so you are not limiting the available space inside the room. YMMV

Cheers,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way the door was built, is once you walk into the hidden room the springs closes the door behind you. I understand what you are saying about having more room, but it was easier to design the door this way and then hide the door with trim. Plus, the hidden room has plenty of room for the electrons and the only other thing in the room is the electrical box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pictures of the riser and the construction of the front stage.

As you can see the stage is kinda of large that because I am putting the center channel in there and the SVS Sub.

Here are a few shots of the riser they are built out of 2 x 8's and the front riser is 2 x 4's my ceiling height is only 8 foot.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Great looking build, looks like you have some carpentering skills. I notice on your riser that you haven't cut any holes to allow the low frequencies to enter, are you planning on doing that? I would greatly advise so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is an update on the process the first couple of pictures are the design we created to hang the speakers. I didn't want to bolt / hang my speakers directly into the drywall. I wanted something a little stronger so we built these angles for the front speakers 45 degrees off the wall and around 30 for the back wall.

We did install sound channel in the ceiling to try to reduce noise entering the kitchen above the theater. I don't have any photos of the channel.

Here are a few with the drywall being installed

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Looks like your moving right along. Keep up the good work it will pay off in the end. Like when your sitting back and relaxing :T

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: "Clever Name Here" Theater Construction

Well, it's been a while since I checked in nothing really has been happening in the theater room or the rest of the basement. Same old song and dance.....ran short on cash! Will be finishing up the beginning of the year with bonus from work and tax return money!:clap: Here are a few shots of the drywall taped and sanded. Next step paint.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Looks like a lot of planning went into your build. I am sure it will pay off in the end. I envy you.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts