Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know if these units came with an inbuilt high pass filter and if so what is the frequency they set the cut off at?

I am building a Passive radiator based on Adrian Macks 12"XLS peerless design. I have the peerless driver but substituted the Peerless Passives with 2 12" scanspeak passives.

The winisd program showed that I really should have a high pass filter (aka subsonic filter)
as Driver excursion will be exceeded very quickly below the 16Hz range.

Is there off the shelf options for this? I have searched and search and keep coming up with DIY circuits which I oculd probably have a crack at. But I am unsure how to fit this circuit into my system line then.

If anyone is able to point me in the right direction would be great.

thanks

Alex

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
What is the amp, a "Jaycar 300W"? Almost all sub plate amps have built in HPFs, though you'd need to know the specifics of your exact amp to be sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the amp is model AA0508 350wrms 4/8ohm plate amplifier. I bought it at Jaycar quite some years back. They no longer sell them. I tried ringing the technical help department in case someone there still has data on them but no one has returned my call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please be gentle with my total noobiness with all things electrical here I am trying to complete my project but at the same time I am also interested to learn and gain better understanding of what's happening as best i can.

I plugged all my data into WinISD. my main concern is when watching movies if there is a very low frequency signal as I understand some blurays go down to single figure Hz. According to winisd anything below 16Hz will be well over my safe limit for driver exertion.

So I added a high-pass filter to the winisd project and it adjusts the curve nicely showing that my driver wont over exert.

The setting for the HPF in winisd were: 3rd order cut-off 16Hz Q0.707 Butterworth. (if i had it set to 2nd order or 1st order the curve was still in the danger zone of exertion for the driver.)

How do I now translate this information into a circuit to be built? What further information do I need?
Once the circuit is built how do I integrate it to my system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i took the amp to work and had a guy check it out with a signal generator and the o-scope under load. so for the record the old Jaycar AA0508 350Wrms amp does have a second order high pass filter built in. So I have no worries of blowing my driver. according to the circuit diagram it should be kicking in around 28hz but on test it was i think -6db at 20hz and then down at 15hz had dropped off a lot more very safe level to operate teh subwoofer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts