Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I was building a set of tower speakers with a 2446j & a 2206. I was in the final stages and ready to construct. Then, I came across some literature about the new JBL D2 compression drivers and had to have them. I bought a set of the D2's and decided I wanted the new directional drive neo transducers to go long with them.

My question is, would some one be so kind to run the 2262h for a ported enclosure through the software. I would like to use a square port in a 2sqft box. What would the port dimensions be and what would the tune be?

I have attached the Theile parameters below:

MODEL FS QTS QMS QES VAS EFF PE XMAX RE LE SD BL MMS FLUX
2262H 56.8 0.34 2.79 0.39 49.2 2.2 700 8 5.2 0.0547 18.0 68 392

P.S. If anyone is interested in a set of 2446j's & 2206's with 2380A horns msg me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd love to help, but I'm a bit of a NOOB. I did try, but there is a nasty bump at 58Hz... Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the TS parameters are not right, or I read them wrong. In any case, I don't think your port size will matter much, unless you have some constraint on your cabinet dimensions.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
WinISD will tune the port to the Fs of the speaker.(56.8) Are you wanting a single driver in 2cuft tuned to 60hz?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was building the cabinets for the 2206's. The wood is already purchased and been cut. The cabinets are solid mahogany and the original size was 2 cf for the 2206 with a 4" square port 7" long. I would like to keep the 2 cf box size because it works for the size of the horn which is going in the cabinet too. I would like to get the tune down to 45hz +/-, if possible with 2cf. I need port size and length. I am also open to a box smaller than 2cf if needed for SQ.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed it and added the 2262h into the database and plugged in the theile parameters. Manipulated the the chamber cf to 2cf. Not sure what the port tune is...

In WinISD where is the port tune read out?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
In 2cuft feet and a square 4" port the port needs to be 7.3" for a 45hz tune.

Also in your build what are you crossing the woofer at?(Lp)

Will you have be using a subwoofer?

You can use any tune you would like for your application but I am curious to know because with the 4" port you have a 927hz 1st port resonance. Also when using enough power to push the driver to Xmax you will be at 27m/s.

If you click on the vents tab in the driver windo you should see size, length and 1st port resonance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chrapladm,

I have an 18" tc sounds 5100 in an LLT. The intent of this driver is mid-bass/midrange to 1000hz or there about. What would be optimal. The compression driver will come in at approx 500hz - 10k. The HP for the 2262h would be at 45hz and LP at 1000hz +/-? What does first port resonance reflect? Is that an optimal location for the LP filter? These cabinets will be bi-amped with a crown DCi 4|300N with DSP.

Your help is appreciated thanks for the port info.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
With a 930hz port resonance I would shoot for a 460hz Low pass on the woofer. That will keep the resonance out of the pass band of the woofer.

With the 5100 driver you will have plenty of midbass from that subwoofer design. Are you trying to use the 12 with out a subwoofer or would you mind tuning higher?

I like the JBL in 2cuft 55hz tuning myself. I myself and building a 2 way subwoofer system that will go from 2-300hz. I will be tuning my 15" to 55hz also. The 15 will be used for the midbass part of the subwoofer system. (60-300) When using a subwoofer also, I like tuning around 60hz. If I wanted to use the speaker without a subwoofer than I would use a sealed cabinet.

I also like the 12" in a 1.5cuft cabinet 55hz tune. Has a F3 of 60hz while the 2cuft 45hz tune has a F3 of 90hz.

1.5cuft 55hz tune using a single 4" square port will need to be 6.15" long. 1st port resonance of 1100hz also. That would make the woofer useable up to 550hz Low pass. BUT that would also mean 32-33m/s.

Did you say you have to use a 4" port?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Here is a 1cuft, 1.5cuft and a 2cuft comparison. Each have enough wattage to hit Xmax just below their tuning. 1cuft and 1.5cuft are tuned to 55hz. The 2cuft cabinet is 45hz.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you... No. actually a circle would be ok at 4" too. Does the port resonance change much with a circle port?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
You only have to worry about the volume of the port. SO square or circle does not matter. BUT it becomes a balancing act when trying to get port resonances an octave higher than pass band and have port speed low enough.

SO if wanting to use a woofer to 500hz you need to get a port resonance around 1000hz or higher while also keeping port speed down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So you have the D2's. I just joined yesterday to get REW. What horns are you using the D2 on? I happen to have two sets of the JBL Marquis and am planning on getting the D2's for my high frequency wave guides. MD2, MD3 and MD7's. Right now I am using the 2450SL drivers but, as you know, they don't go up all that high without EQ. And I want the D2's so I don't have to use tweeters. Probable hardly anyone here knows what the D2 is.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Look pretty awesome so far. :T

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Need more clamps. :T :D

1 - 20 of 77 Posts