Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
First of all I wanna say and admit that i am a beginner. I have documented myself via google and other specialized websites on how to build a subwoofer enclosure for JBL GTO 1214. Due to the fact that i am a beginner i have chosen to make a simpler one , a closed enclosure. According to the information i have gathered it is smaller and you can get a more refined sound from a 12'' subwoofer.
And I have some questions.
1: Is it okay if the enclosure measurements are 13"x13"x12.5" ? I think this equals 0.87 cubic ft. In the producer specification the recommended volume is 28.32L that means 1 cubic feet ( 14"x13.5"x13" to get a 1 cubic feet enclosure)
2: Is it a big difference between an 18mm mdf and an 18mm plywood ? In my country is really hard to find raw mdf
3: Do i really need bracing for a 12" subwoofer or this it isn't necessary ?
4: Do i have to add foam inside of the enclosure ? If so how much.
5: In the U.S the glue which i have seen that is most used for enclosures is Gorilla Glue. What type of glue is this ? Wood glue ? Universal glue? I think the most common brands I can name from my country are : UHU, Loctite, Poxipol. If i use polyvinyl alcohol is it oki ?

P.S.
I am open to any info and any advice I can receive from you. If this type of thread has been done before I apologize but there are thousands and I didn't find what i need. I will respond to this when I can due to the timezone difference.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hi ,
First of all I wanna say and admit that i am a beginner. I have documented myself via google and other specialized websites on how to build a subwoofer enclosure for JBL GTO 1214. Due to the fact that i am a beginner i have chosen to make a simpler one , a closed enclosure. According to the information i have gathered it is smaller and you can get a more refined sound from a 12'' subwoofer.
And I have some questions.
1: Is it okay if the enclosure measurements are 13"x13"x12.5" ? I think this equals 0.87 cubic ft. In the producer specification the recommended volume is 28.32L that means 1 cubic feet ( 14"x13.5"x13" to get a 1 cubic feet enclosure)
2: Is it a big difference between an 18mm mdf and an 18mm plywood ? In my country is really hard to find raw mdf
3: Do i really need bracing for a 12" subwoofer or this it isn't necessary ?
4: Do i have to add foam inside of the enclosure ? If so how much.
5: In the U.S the glue which i have seen that is most used for enclosures is Gorilla Glue. What type of glue is this ? Wood glue ? Universal glue? I think the most common brands I can name from my country are : UHU, Loctite, Poxipol. If i use polyvinyl alcohol is it oki ?
1. Those dimensions are pretty tight, and may be a bit difficult to incorporate corner bracing (small wood blocks or strips), which I would use on a small box rather than bracing the panels for one this size.
2. Depends if the plywood is good quality (more plies= stiffer), mdf is preferred for damping/density and better finish (painting)
3. at least block the corners with glue blocks, with liberal use of glue
4. I think 1lb/ft³ , but I may be off there
5. Gorilla glue is a polyurethane based glue, I've used wood glue, but then ensured a tight seal with caulking on inside edges. Polyurethane is messing stuff, requiring mineral spirits rather than water to remove, but it is quite strong and seals well in one application if applied carefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried to configure a subwoofer enclosure and the producer recommended Sealed Enclosure volume is 28.32Liters ( 1 ft³). The size which would result from my config would be of 33Liters(1.168ft³). The information on which i could not my hands on is on how long the enclosure should be.
Another thing: do i have to add a filter(for frequency) inside the enclosure or that can be done afterwards ?
Uff this seems so hard to be done for the first time but i want to do something of good quality and build it with patience and care.
Another thing. Let's say i build the Sealed Enclosure will it be a problem if i change my mind about the speaker ? I will trim everything except the front panel which i will do it once i buy my speaker because i know that even if all the speakers are categorized to 12" or 10" the trim required for the front panel differs from one producer to another.
Another thing what would you choose between : JBL GTO 1214, Pioneer TS-W309D4 and Pioneer TS-W309S4? I have seen that for the w309D4 the manufacturer mentioned 2 or 8 ohm impedance while the S4 is 4 ohms only that is why i have added both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts