Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this info orginally on the wrong thread by mistake.

I was wondering if one of the subwoofer guys would double check my information on the following driver with the information listed.

Thanks...

The aim - Find an inexpensive woofer that you can build for the least amount with the best performance for it's class.

Try the following - JBL GTO 804

Ported - Chev
Driver temp 60
Tuning 25hz
box 1cuft
vent 2.0 - you'd need 2 in order to prevent port noise
2nd order butterworth @ 80hz

AMAZINGLY flat. Going to build one some day, just as an experiment....... Might be a candidate for a sonotube sub for a small room - no glossing problem.

Read more: Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com - Re: Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Mike...

I want to use this for a small media sub - so no it's not for car audio.I'm attaching the T/S.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mostly music, yes.

I'd post my results from Win but I'm not sure what to export them to. As familiar as I am with the A/V business, I know very little about computers- enough to be dangerous :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I did it right Mike...if not I'm wait for a Kaboom!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably a plate amp from PE - a 300W Bash...

What do you think about the curve?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The curve will change after you add the power and Hi-pass filter. Here's what I came up with, note that the hi-pass filter on the Bash 300 has been changed to 28.9 hz.

View attachment GTO 804.wpr

You would have to use a slot port for porting as a 4" round port is too long and the air speed is too high on a 3" round port.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The curve will change after you add the power and Hi-pass filter. Here's what I came up with, note that the hi-pass filter on the Bash 300 has been changed to 28.9 hz.

View attachment 21985

You would have to use a slot port for porting as a 4" round port is too long and the air speed is too high on a 3" round port.
I like that curve better your 2 port options are 2 x 6 x 35.5 or 1.5 x 8 x 35.5(for full width slot port). You will need a skinny sub. I'm not sure how we'd get the amp on that sub with a slot port. I'd recommend you build the sub passive and build a separate box for the amp.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hp filter - I was thinking about foregoing the HP filtering and allowing a natural rolloff. Since most program material is over 40hz and in fact a good deal over 50, I think I'll be safe with a natural rolloff @ about 29hz. If I was using it as a HT sub I think a HP would be in order.

This slot port is a good idea - I think that may be the way to go.

Thanks for all the input...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hp filter - I was thinking about foregoing the HP filtering and allowing a natural rolloff. Since most program material is over 40hz and in fact a good deal over 50, I think I'll be safe with a natural rolloff @ about 29hz. If I was using it as a HT sub I think a HP would be in order.

This slot port is a good idea - I think that may be the way to go.

Thanks for all the input...
Why not build it sealed then? You'd get more headroom above 40hz and have no worry about high pass filters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've looked at every which way for sealed but it's seems betters suited to ported. Even with a 30hz bump you start running into excursion problems. However the group delay is excellent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts