Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

JBL GTO 804

Tags
804 gto jbl
6K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  JBL Fan 
#1 ·
I posted this info orginally on the wrong thread by mistake.

I was wondering if one of the subwoofer guys would double check my information on the following driver with the information listed.

Thanks...

The aim - Find an inexpensive woofer that you can build for the least amount with the best performance for it's class.

Try the following - JBL GTO 804

Ported - Chev
Driver temp 60
Tuning 25hz
box 1cuft
vent 2.0 - you'd need 2 in order to prevent port noise
2nd order butterworth @ 80hz

AMAZINGLY flat. Going to build one some day, just as an experiment....... Might be a candidate for a sonotube sub for a small room - no glossing problem.

Read more: Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com - Re: Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for responding Mike...

I want to use this for a small media sub - so no it's not for car audio.I'm attaching the T/S.

Attachments

#5 ·
Mostly music, yes.

I'd post my results from Win but I'm not sure what to export them to. As familiar as I am with the A/V business, I know very little about computers- enough to be dangerous :)

#7 ·
I think I did it right Mike...if not I'm wait for a Kaboom!

Attachments

#9 ·
Probably a plate amp from PE - a 300W Bash...

What do you think about the curve?

#10 ·
The curve will change after you add the power and Hi-pass filter. Here's what I came up with, note that the hi-pass filter on the Bash 300 has been changed to 28.9 hz.

View attachment GTO 804.wpr

You would have to use a slot port for porting as a 4" round port is too long and the air speed is too high on a 3" round port.

#11 ·
The curve will change after you add the power and Hi-pass filter. Here's what I came up with, note that the hi-pass filter on the Bash 300 has been changed to 28.9 hz.

View attachment 21985

You would have to use a slot port for porting as a 4" round port is too long and the air speed is too high on a 3" round port.
I like that curve better your 2 port options are 2 x 6 x 35.5 or 1.5 x 8 x 35.5(for full width slot port). You will need a skinny sub. I'm not sure how we'd get the amp on that sub with a slot port. I'd recommend you build the sub passive and build a separate box for the amp.

#12 ·
Hp filter - I was thinking about foregoing the HP filtering and allowing a natural rolloff. Since most program material is over 40hz and in fact a good deal over 50, I think I'll be safe with a natural rolloff @ about 29hz. If I was using it as a HT sub I think a HP would be in order.

This slot port is a good idea - I think that may be the way to go.

Thanks for all the input...

#16 ·
I've looked at every which way for sealed but it's seems betters suited to ported. Even with a 30hz bump you start running into excursion problems. However the group delay is excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.