Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JBL distributor made me a mad offer today on some of their close-out Northridge speakers so I ordered up some. They slashed the cost so they can move them on out and make room for the newer models coming soon. I looked at few reviews on these and am surprised at what they can offer for the price. These actually seem like a fairly popular speaker. I can't wait to see how they perform in the HT room.

E90

EC35

E10

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Cool stuff sonnie. I like CHEAP stuff ;) Those were the first speakers that caught my eye entering into this hobby...I'll be awaiting your impressions of these :T

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had some of those before I was struck down with 'upgraditis'. I was using the E35 as a centre, E10s as rears and an E25 as rear centre. I had xTi 80 as mains, could have gotten the Northridge series but I preferred the xTi's which are an earlier model. They were my first 'proper' speakers and I did get very many hours of enjoyment out of them. The person who bought them from me is still as pleased as punch wth his speakers. For the price I paid for them they were hard to beat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sonnie,
I've always been a big fan of JBL's stuff. I have the Studio 38's and Center for front stage, and the new Venue Balcony's as my rears (replaced my S26's, moved to the bedroom).
I think you'll be pleased with the way they sound. The E90's rock, and the EC35 is a nice center as well. I did find the E10 sounded a bit on the thin side. If your receiver has assignable x-overs, you may want to cross them at 100 as they roll off pretty hard below 90Hz.
Good luck.
Jim

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Im interested in a subjective comparison between these JBL's and your current system Sonnie. Interesting stuff indeed.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA! My hearing is terrible and that may be why just about anything seems to sound good to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I could get by with the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to the sound system and put more focus on the image quality. :huh:

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
HA! My hearing is terrible and that may be why just about anything seems to sound good to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I could get by with the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to the sound system and put more focus on the image quality. :huh:
Hey Sonnie you might have to BFD your hearing aids:rofl: :rofl: :joke:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Hey Sonnie you might have to BFD your hearing aids:rofl: :rofl: :joke:
Haha, nice one. Wish I would've thought of that.

Sonnie, please don't let your poor hearing stop you from building that IB. You'll barely be able to hear it but you WILL feel it ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with the way they sound. The E90's rock, and the EC35 is a nice center as well. I did find the E10 sounded a bit on the thin side.
Jim
I agree completely. I had the E90 mains/EC35 center/E30 rears in my setup for just over one month. They were the set that I assembled for my sister and had to "store" them in my house for a month while she was moving into a new place. Over the course of that month, I came to the conclusion that they were one of the(if not THEE) best value speakers ever built. Yes, I mean EVER built. The E90's significantly better than the E80 mains, and they have tremendous clarity and detail. The EC35 is a very capable center channel and blend perfectly with the E90's, and the clarity and detail mimic the E90's. The power of that front soundstage is going to floor you! When you look at the price paid, you are going to be shaking your head at how such a small investment can produce such an amazing sound.

The E10 rears are weak. Even for rears, the E10's can't give you much at all. I didn't think the E20's were even enough, so that's why I went with the E30's for rears, even crossed over at 80Hz, the E30's are about as little as you can go in the Northridge line and get decent dynamics. The E10's are certainly going to be thin and you'll likely miss out on any significant dynamics coming from the rears. You're in luck, though, because the rears are only called upon to carry such dynamics less than 5% of the time. I don't know how much you got your package for, but I paid $700 for the E90/EC35/E30 package back in 2005. You can still get the E30's for $119/pair shipped to your door from B&H Photo Video. You could donate the E10's to a good cause, and pick up the E30's at that minimal cost to add a significant upgrade to your rears.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrP... I may even step up and opt for the E50's... I'm liking those since they have the separate mids and seem to handle quite a bit of power with pretty good response too. They have the same 8" driver as the E90 and are rated down to 45Hz so crossing them over at 80Hz should do well.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have E20's for the side surrounds and E30's for the two rear surrounds. My experience agrees with MrPorterhouse about the weak E20's. They are nice and small and one of them is even on a CD rack in my case. If I had the room I'd use E30's or even E50's for the side surounds. Movies nowadays put a lot of sound into the surround channels.

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sonnie,
I've had what amounts to the E50 for over 4 years now (S38II) for my mains. I really love these speakers. I like the horizontal imaging they give, and now that I have some power behind them, they rock.
I'm not sure how they will do as surrounds, but if your room is big enough, they would probably work.
I have recently upgraded to the Venue Balcony for my surrounds and I couldn't be happier. I'm posting a mini-review today.
I agree with MrP when he says that these are great speakers. I've had upgrade-itus for some time now and I have yet to run across a set that sounds as good as my S38II/S-Center/Balcony setup without spending $3000 a pair. I'm not going to be so bold to say that there are no better, because I have heard better. But not at this pricepoint or higher.
Good luck with your new setup.
Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bump. So, whaddaya think, Sonnie? These were some of the top contenders when I first got back into A/V a couple three years ago after a fairly long hiatus. Great, great speakers for the coin.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Wayne Pflughaupt and his family have been visiting with us since Saturday evening and the JBLs have gotten a real workout... I mean a very serious workout. They are getting 300wpc with my Earthquake amp and we have been pushing them hard. Actually before this weekend they may have had 5-6 hours on them... now they have over 24 hours easily. They've pretty much run non-stop for quite some time. When we started out we thought they might be a little forward... a tad bright, but then I realized they are more sensitive than the previous speakers and I hadn't even level matched them to the subs. So we got it balanced out more and they sounded some better. A little while ago we stopped for a break (which brings me here) and I mentioned to Wayne that the speakers seem to have mellowed quite a bit. I wanna go back and listen to the David Gilmour in concert which is the first thing we listened to Saturday. I'll know for sure then, but it does appear they needed some breaking in. I'll update later to be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

must agrree with you guys, JBL is probably the best bang-for-the-buck, indeed.
My current setup (7.1) comprises 02 E-50's as L/R mains, 01 EC-35 as C, + 04 E-30 as S/SB.

No regrets at all!

Cheers / Avliner.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Infinity Primus line seems to be a much better value right now. They just sound better to me than the JBLs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I never got a chance to audition the Infinity's. Notwhistsanding the fact that they're all coming from the same source, I wouldn't doubt that the latter sounds better, IMO.
Bear in mind that the Northridge E-Series are not being produced any longer. Don't know about the Infinity's though. Have heard prettty good comments on those.

Cheers / Avliner.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah... they are pretty much the same speaker. I think both are looking at new models.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts