Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've heard the JBL's and was impressed for the price. But for the same price as a pair of floorstanding JBL's I built some TMWW with the Dayton RS driver's that sound fabulous. But I am DIY bias.

R

·
0 Posts
I have to put in my agreement with the statement about the value of JBL speakers. I've auditioned dozens of speakers and that is the one truth I've found. The best bang-for-buck speakers come from JBL. It's really amazing that they get so little press on the (ahem) 'other' forums. I, too, have found that I'd need to go to ~5 grand/pair to sense an 'upgrade' from my S312's. (I'm using antique J350A's and Infinity Refs for surrounds, and a JBL E35 center.)

My hearing is plenty shot, too, from one too many concerts, R&R jams, and ear infections....maybe I just can't tell the difference between a 'good' speaker and a 'bad' one. Or not. LOL. :surrender:

(Still...these lovely S312's are goners the second I can afford some Sonus Faber Grand Pianos or Aerial 7B's. :) )

Good cheer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have to put in my agreement with the statement about the value of JBL speakers. I've auditioned dozens of speakers and that is the one truth I've found. The best bang-for-buck speakers come from JBL. It's really amazing that they get so little press on the (ahem) 'other' forums. I, too, have found that I'd need to go to ~5 grand/pair to sense an 'upgrade' from my S312's. (I'm using antique J350A's and Infinity Refs for surrounds, and a JBL E35 center.)

My hearing is plenty shot, too, from one too many concerts, R&R jams, and ear infections....maybe I just can't tell the difference between a 'good' speaker and a 'bad' one. Or not. LOL. :surrender:

(Still...these lovely S312's are goners the second I can afford some Sonus Faber Grand Pianos or Aerial 7B's. :) )

Good cheer.
Not to put Sonus Faber down, but I saw a recent review of some of their most expensive speakers and they did not measure so great and had audible port noise. But I'll never afford a pair of those so.....

R

·
0 Posts
Not to put Sonus Faber down, but I saw a recent review of some of their most expensive speakers and they did not measure so great and had audible port noise. But I'll never afford a pair of those so.....
Have you heard them, Scott? If so, what was your listening experience?

I consider reviews, unless involving A/B/X or double blind testing methods to be reasonably useless. Perhaps you could put up a link to the review you mentioned. Speakers are subjective...one does not hear 'measurements'...and reviews generally involve a huge variety of front-end equipment, depending upon the reviewer...also rendering the results/opinions below some level of 'truth' or 'proof'.

Here are 38 reviews of the Grand Pianos.

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125560_1594crx.aspx

They all represent a different opinion, whether from audiophile or average Joe (sorry AverageJoe). Some say too much bass. Some say too much treble. Some say too much midrange. Most say "JUST RIGHT". Reviews, for the most part are merely opinions. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you heard them, Scott? If so, what was your listening experience?

I consider reviews, unless involving A/B/X or double blind testing methods to be reasonably useless. Perhaps you could put up a link to the review you mentioned. Speakers are subjective...one does not hear 'measurements'...and reviews generally involve a huge variety of front-end equipment, depending upon the reviewer...also rendering the results/opinions below some level of 'truth' or 'proof'.

Here are 38 reviews of the Grand Pianos.

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125560_1594crx.aspx

They all represent a different opinion, whether from audiophile or average Joe (sorry AverageJoe). Some say too much bass. Some say too much treble. Some say too much midrange. Most say "JUST RIGHT". Reviews, for the most part are merely opinions. :)

No I haven't heard them and I agree that reviews can be useless. Most reviewers praise just about everything they review so they can continue to review more.

I was speaking from memory... I remeber the review being good but some comments on the port noise, internal construction and a not so great FR. I'm sure they are ten times better than anything I'll ever own. I hope I didn't offend, I was just throwing something out there.

Take care.

PS, I found the link.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506sf/

R

·
0 Posts
No I haven't heard them and I agree that reviews can be useless. Most reviewers praise just about everything they review so they can continue to review more.

I was speaking from memory... I remeber the review being good but some comments on the port noise, internal construction and a not so great FR. I'm sure they are ten times better than anything I'll ever own. I hope I didn't offend, I was just throwing something out there.

Take care.

PS, I found the link.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506sf/
No offense taken, Scott. I was clarifying for other readers that reviews are like opinions....which are like navels....everyone's got 'em, and they're all different. It so happens that my opinion includes a huge amount of affection for the sound of SF speakers. To each his own, and I honor that. One should probably refrain from too negative a statement without having heard the item, however. As I pointed out, there are tons of really positive reviews too. I'd recommend that, if possible, others should give this wonderful brand of Italian art a listen.

I do, however, question your comment about port noise or build problems in this review. I saw nothing but massive amounts of drooling over the Amatis by the reviewer. Did I miss something? :dontknow:

They're also likely 10 times more speaker than I'll ever be able to afford as well. But a pretty girl 'can' be enjoyed from afar. :daydream: Good cheer.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We've gotten totally off topic here... you guys might wanna discuss this via PM or email... or maybe start a new thread... :huh:

Thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
We've gotten totally off topic here... you guys might wanna discuss this via PM or email... or maybe start a new thread... :huh:

Thanks!
Sorry, Sonnie. I guess it's a little like discussing hearing aids in the thread, eh? :heehee:

You had mentioned that you were going to update us on the JBL's. Have you rendered a final judgement on the set? Thumbs up or down?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well with me needing hearing aids I'm not sure how objective my final judgment is... :bigsmile:

I like these speakers... they seem to do very well overall. I do believe the SVS SBS-01 system is smoother and warmer than the JBL. The JBL's were on the bright and forward side initially, but have improved with use... well enough to satisfy me. I would like to try the SVS MTS towers once they become available.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sorry for digging out the dead.

I just decided to purchase again something for the man cave since I recently sold all my HTD level 2 setup.

A buddy of mine had new in the box E30's that he sold to me for $60.00.

I then scored a paid of E60's for $100.00 from a private seller (like new).

and last night I got a EC25 for $50.00.

I really, really wanted to get the EC35, that some other person was selling, but they wanted $120.00 and felt it was not worth getting.

I have everything hooked up right now to a Pioneer VSX-1015TX.
Only thing I am lacking is a SUB, so shopping again for one of those.
As of now, this setup to me is very, very nice and for what I got everything for, I felt it was a great deal. I am sure my subwoofer that I will be getting will cost more then the whole setup. LOL

R60's are pretty big sitting next to my 50" :D Love it!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Note: I plan to add some pollyfill into the R30's. I pulled out the drivers and seem to be hollow. There is only a little bit of insolation on one side and back on the cabinet. I am sure once I add some pollyfill, it will get little better response and not sound hollow / bright.
Also what I did in the mean time is drop the db's to -3 :) ... and added the treble up to +4 / bass +2:D Working out great. They do might fine even as mains.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sounds like you got a good deal... congrats... :T

I would probably see about adding some mass to the inside... super thick... and try to eliminate some of the cabinet resonance. That may be the best improvement you will notice. How much, what to use, etc... I have no idea, but you might research what others have done to some of the Infinity and Ascend speakers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great to hear you got a good deal on great sounding speakers. :bigsmile:
I'm completely in audio nervana with my LC1, L830 main/surround set up...can't wait to move into a house so I can add a sub and crank them up. :)

Carl

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great to hear you got a good deal on great sounding speakers. :bigsmile:
I'm completely in audio nervana with my LC1, L830 main/surround set up...can't wait to move into a house so I can add a sub and crank them up. :)

Carl
No kidding, we're in the process of looking for a home to buy and getting out of this townhouse.
Coming from our previous house (we sold) and coming into a townhome has really put HT / Music to a minimum for not able to play it loud (respect my neighbors). Another reason why I sold my previous equipment.
Now getting the itch "again", I got all new equipment (see sig) and just purchased a MFW-15, which I am picking up today. Sucks that it will be sitting in storage until we find our next home :( . LOL!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts