Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently I picked up a TLX PS10 sub at an estate sale pretty cheap. I was using it as my second sub in my HT. Well, after some intermediate popping and eventually a constant hum(when disconnected from receiver, just plugged in to power source) I decided the amp was shot. After some research I found out the amp sir this sub was fairly fraught with design flaws and probably not worth repairing.
My initial question was going to be if anyone had a replacement plate amp recommendation. However after pulling the amp and speaker I noticed the box was mostly particle board/not the best quality. So...
I have been wanting to do a DIY build but, with a new baby I have very limited funds, at least, a limited amount of bargaining power with the wife for HT budget. Blah blah blah! Sorry first post. Actual question, ahhh! Is this driver/box worth using or should i just drop it all off at the thrift store and save my penny's for a decent build? Again sorry of the rambling. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, now that you have confirmed my suspicion that the jbl is a wash. What I have been dreaming about is a dual 8" sub similar to my M&K MX 70. I love that sub but, I am afraid it might be a little too challenging for my first build. I also haven't come across many dual 8" builds. I would hope to take my time and purchase the items as I can afford them, starting with the cabinet expense. Ultimately, I think, $500 would be a fair amount. Any advice there would be well received. I am also happy to throw it up as a new thread if you think that would be better.
Thank you for the prompt response!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it is totally doable for your budget. You could easily spend $500 on the box alone making it look like fine furniture, but with simple tools and simple design you can get a fairly nice sub built.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You won't be needing a cabinet that big. For 500 I'd suggest the Stereo Integrity HT 18 D2 in 12 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz powered by a Yung 500 plate amp ( no boost model ) and three 4" flared ports 17" long each. The amp and ports can be purchased at Parts Express.

12 cu.ft. is the net volume, to that you add the displacement of the driver, ports, and bracing. 13.5 cu.ft. would be the total internal volume needed.

This is the estimated SPL of the setup, to this you would add any SPL that room gain may provide depending on the size of room the sub is in.

Text Slope Line Technology Font

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good to me! Thanks for the modeling. Do you have any good references to similar box designs?

Also, I would like to do a practice sub. I find that when you do something the first time, when you are finished you know exactly how you should have done it:) that being said I have a older car audio sub I would like to utilize for my shop stereo. It is a kicker solo baric round s10c.

http://kicker.com/sites/default/files/Solo-Baric - C- Series Subwoofers.pdf

Is this something I can use, successfully with a plate amp? It would be mostly for music.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You can design your own cabinet to suit your tastes here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

You can have a look through the Subwoofer Database to see what others have built to give you an idea. The link is in my signature.

A couple of points. These are the ports you need.

http://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-4-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-352

The ports you need are 17" long and they need 4" of clearance to the back wall if they are front mounted. A cabinet that is 24" deep or more would be ideal for the port clearance issue.

Doorway widths vary so measure yours to see which is the narrowest and make your sub width accordingly. More than one person has built a sub and found out later that it wont fit through a door way.

I'll have a look at the Kicker and see if it's suitable for anything.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
There aren't enough parameters to model it but the PDF states it is excursion limited to 350 watts in a .66 cu.ft. box. With that being known I would suggest a 1 cu.ft. box with 250 watts. With the coils wired in series for a 8 ohm load the Yung SD500 ( no boost model ) would be your best best. It will produce 250 watts in a 8 ohm load and costs $149.

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-s...ofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-512

Built from 3/4" material a 14" cube would be ideal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts