Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got a different laptop, and I can't get it to do a smooth scroll up or down a page, either by using the arrow up/down buttons or by dragging the bar on the right side of the page with the mouse. Instead of a fluid, continuous movement, it gives me a jerky motion with some kind of rolling horizontal line thing as the page repositions. Looks kinda like an old TV that needs a "horizontal hold" adjustment.

What can I do about this? I can't find anything in the Control Panel Mouse settings that makes a difference.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I assume you are using XP or Vista so I can't help you there. I know that "smooth scrolling" can be set for your web browser, but of course it would have no effect on other programs.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Is this in your web browser of all applications? In Firefox there is the option to turn on smooth scroll in the Tools tab in options under the advanced tab.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like u have no display drivers installed :scratch:

Start /Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager ...do u see any yellow coloured '?'

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry - Been working long hours this week, and for some reason I haven't been getting any e-mail notification for this thread, until today.

I Googled "smooth scrolling" and found something that would fix it, but only in Internet Explorer.

Sounds like u have no display drivers installed.
Hmmm.... You would think a laptop would come with all the drivers it needs for its own display? :huh:

Start /Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager ...do u see any yellow coloured '?'
Yup...

Device manager.JPG

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like u have no display drivers installed :scratch:

I had forgotten that when my wife and I got these laptops a few years ago, we had to download all kinds of patches to fix all the bugs. We traded laptops a couple of weeks ago and I just switched my hard drive over to hers. So your post jogged my memory; I just found a "graphics" driver at HP's site and that fixed the problem! No more colored question marks! No more jerky scrolling! :jump:

:T

..and by the way, update ur XP Theme to somethin alot nicer >> BricoPack Vista Inspirat Ultimate 2
Holy cow, it's a *******' 27mb! Do I really want it?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
171 Posts
lol I'm so sorry Wayne, I thought when u saw the Vga drivers questioned '?' u realised they weren't installed ... my bad :innocent:

Anyways good to see u have upgraded the Display Drivers and everything back to normal.

Concerning the Vista Inspirat Theme pack, is 27Mb too much download for what u get allowed? or are limited on Hard Drive space ?

I do alot of computer building/diagnosing/cleaning for people and have only ever had 1 person not like the change to the 'Vista Inspirat' look... so just incase ur not happy it's totally reversible/uninstallable.

Anyone running windows XP 32 bit (don't use it with 64bit!) will be amazed at how much cleaner everything looks and sounds :yes:

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I'm so sorry Wayne, I thought when u saw the Vga drivers questioned '?' u realised they weren't installed ... my bad :innocent:
Hey, I'm better than half-clueless when it comes to computers. I know just enough to keep from blowing them up. :wits-end:

Concerning the Vista Inspirat Theme pack, is 27Mb too much download for what u get allowed? or are limited on Hard Drive space ?
No problem with any of that- I just seems like a lot of "wasted" space for a theme. Sounds interesting, though - I think I'll give it a try. :T

Thanks again for the help!

Anyone running windows XP 32 bit (don't use it with 64bit!)
Okay, ya lost me again - what does that mean? :mooooh:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bricopacks state only to use the Theme Pack on a 32bit Versions of XP (i guess it was written for 32?)

Anyway I'm almost certain u have 32 bit,( I personally only know one guy who uses 64bit XP) but to check click on Start / Control Panel / System / General ...now under 'System' it should say 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional/Home Version 2002 Service pack 3'
If it does your good to go!

But...if it says 'Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version '...... then don't install the Theme Pack !

i gtg for now :wave:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
How much CPU and video power does that theme pack take from the PC to run?

Two possible down-sides to such things are it might be stealing needed processing power, and it will change the way Windows looks to the user which could be confusing.

I do like that it is easily uninstallable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I only use the Transparent task bar, I disable the Rocket Dock, Yz Shadow & UberIcon features..It will be no different in usage to standard XP, just much cleaner.

I guarantee most XP users have many irrelevant processors running all the time :rolleyes:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I guarantee most XP users have many irrelevant processors running all the time :rolleyes:
You sure got that right! Do you have a list of the irrelevant processes that can be safely turned off?

I also want to be clear that I'm not knocking Bricopacks, but sometimes add-ons like this can suck up needed resources on an underpowered machine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
www.blackviper.com/WinXP << a good reference for Windows Services

Using Mike P as an example, I see a few things I would disable.

AVGWDSVC/AVGTRAY.exe ..anything starting with AVG I would remove AVG Anti-Virus :yikes: u say...well in my experience is does nothing more than slow ur pc down (like most all anti-virus programs)

AAWService.exe Ad-Aware 2007 ? ..well that's another pc hog that should go straight to >> :devil:

CTFMON.exe not necessary, go here to remove >> http://www.pchell.com/support/ctfmon.shtml

ALG.exe do u share ur pc with another...I don't, Disable in Services under Application Layer Gateway

WSCNTFY.exe Windows Security notify ...just incase u forgot to turn AVG on, or ur Windows Firewall suddenly disabled and such... in other words, no need. :rolleyes: ..can be found in Control Panel / Security Center / Change the way Security Center Alerts Me

So what will protect me now u say .. :praying: .. :dontknow:

Ok, here's what I suggest..

Spybot Search & Destroy When Installing, just don't select 'Tea Timer' ...make sure to Update, Immunise & Scan

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Install,Update & Perform Quick Scan

SpywareBlaster Install, Update & Enable all Protection.

..run these every few weeks :T

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 I saved the Best till last, u won't find a better Firewall for XP than this..make sure u turn off the Windows Firewall afterwards :cunning:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts