Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I have been floating around for some time but decided to make the plunge. I have a JL 12W7 that I plan to build a down firing sealed enclosure for. My enclosure will be 3/4" MDF 15.5" wide x 15.5" long x 17.25" deep (tall). It will have a 2.5" baffle in order to sink the driver in flush.

I have found various equations based on air displacement etc. that say I require 3.5-4" of clearance between the driver and the floor. I have decided to go with 3.5" solid woot furniture feet with rubber pads on the bottom. Does this sound reasonable?

My box will be 1.38 cu ft including the driver (0.14) and the bracing I have planned. Still not sure on how I will finish the enclosure. I'm almost thinking of going with a leather or vinyl to make it look like an ottoman...still to be decided.

I ordered an iNuke3000DSP and the necessary connections etc. from Parts Express.

I spoke with JL and they recommended increasing the box volume from their vehicle recommended volume of 1.375 cu ft to 1.5-1.6 cu ft. But after seeing pmandt's 13w7 build I think I am going to stick to my 1.38 cu ft volume. Any thoughts?

I picked up a couple lbs of Acousta-stuf as well. What are your thoughts on using this? I don't think that pmandt used any and I don't believe JL uses any damping material in their fathom lines...

Just curious what the thoughts are around my build plans. Any concerns or things that you would do different would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm excited! After building enclosures for more than a few W7's in my past I'd like to see how they do in a custom box for home use. I'd like to get a hold of one of the JL designed home subs for some serious listening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi everyone. I finished the build over the holidays. I will attach some pictures below. It sounds great so far with the very limited listening/testing I have been able to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
wow amazing.
When you play it loud doesnt it walk.
How heavy is the box whit the driver?

I build a SDX15 for a friend i walk,s when he play,s it loud .

Good choice ,i build and helped build some awesome playing sub,s using JL driver,s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Morca,

I believe the driver weighs about 45lbs and the box is around 50lbs...so roughly it's about 100lbs. When I played it loudly when sitting in hardwood floor it walked a bit. I have smaller diameter rubber feet that should solve this. But on carpet where it sits now it doesn't move.

One question. In order to test low frequencies 10-20 hz do you require a mic style meter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

I am running it with a iNuke3000dsp bridged. Right now I have only adjusted the PEQ HS12 to 20HZ and gain to -5DB and also adjusted the gain on the x over to +5DB...as per some readings here on the forum.

Any input on if this is a good set up for getting down as low as possible?

Thanks all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts