Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I figured it was about time I start my build thread. I will be building 2 6ft3 sealed boxes. Each one will be housing a Q18. I start cutting wood on Thursday or Friday. I plan on building 1 box now and another in a few weeks. I still don't have an amp but plan on picking up one or two in a couple weeks.

I will start with the only picture I have.

sorry my iphone is terrible at taking pictures. :hissyfit:

I will post my box drawings and what not in the next post.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are all the images regarding the design I will be using for my build.

According to the Enclosure Volume Calculator it came out pretty close to 6ft3! I wll also be using some 2 inch egg create foam I got from work to line all the walls as well as stuff a pillow or two in there.

Basic box layout

*probably overkill with the bracing and triple baffle but, better to much than not enough!!

Cut sheets

And hopefully when they are all done they will look like this!

They will have granite tops and be wrapped in black Alligator vinyl.

I will have more pictures of the actual build shortly.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions or criticism towards my design.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I really like the idea of granite tops. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was finally able to get some work done on one of the boxes!:sn:

I cut out all the braces and was able to glue them up and make the skeleton for the box.

Here I started glueing and screwing the 2 inner baffles to the braces.

The top glued and screwed.

In this picture I have the sides on.

Here you can see the braces in the box a little better.

OOPS!! I made a mistake and cut my last piece for the back to 23 instead of 23.5!! I didn't feel like going and getting another piece so I made do.

Step 1 to fixing my mistake...

Step 2...

Step 3 much better! Except the scrap I used to make the filler must have been from the handy panel I used to make the braces, cause it is about 1/16 - 1/32" thinner and now there is a null. Oh well, nothing a little filler won't fix!!

And here is how it sits now. All together except the outer baffle. I have that cut but am going to wait a bit until I drill the driver screw holes. That way it will be easier getting it in out!

I was going to flush trim all the edges and put in the speakon connector in but I don't think my neighbors would have appreciated me making all kinds of noise outside at 11pm! So I will wait till later this week and get that done.

A few words of advice for anyone doing this for the first time.
-Wear a respirator! I brought mine home from work and boy was it nice!
-Do all your routing outside! They sure do make a mess.

Joe

·
Registered
487 Posts
Great work mate. That is coming along nicely.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been able to get a few hours of work in over that last few nights.

Last night I flush mounted the Speakon connector in the back.
sorry don't have any pictures of that, maybe later...

Tonight I flushed all the edges with the router. Installed the outer baffle and applied the first layer of bondo. I will sand it down and probably do another layer and sand again. That is where it will most likely sit until next week when I can get my vinyl and start wrapping it.

Should I put some kind of feet on it? I was thinking of maybe doing some 3" x 3/4" discs and screwing them to the bottom about 2" or so from the edges. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well did some more work today...

First I went ahead and made some 3" feet and placed them about 1.5" from of the edges. I then glued and screwed them down. Once they were dry I used the chamfer bit and made them look a little better. Once that was done, I sanded everyting with 220 and layed down about 3 layers of black Krylon primer and sanded with a 400 then 600 grit and sprayed around 5 coats of Krylon black satin paint. I'm not going to use the vinyl on the bottom so I figured black would look fine against the black vinyl. Also, didn't worry too much about the screw holes on the bottom either, as you can tell!

I also hade some time so I laid down some speaker gasket material I had left over from my CLD 4CC build. Only have about 100 feet of the stuff laying around!! Also, while I was painting the bottom, I painted around where the sub will sit just incase some is visible.

Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

I actually was undecided on which drivers and alignment I wanted for a very long time. Too much time in winisd had that effect on me I guess. But then I found a guy on craigslist selling 2 of them for $500 with only a few hours use on them. So I jumped on it! Kinda made my decision easy after that. I actually ended up getting them for $450 because of some issues trying to get them from him. Right away I was going to get them from him then the next day his buddy was going to buy them. A few weeks later he said his buddy backed out and he still had them. I offered him $450 and he excepted. Sorry for the ramble, but that's how...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went to pick up my vinyl today on lunch and of course the alligator was all gone and they don't have a vendor to get more. They said they were unsure if and when that would be. I found an alternative though, Black Ostrich!! I bought enough to do both incase they run out of it!!

I will get some pics up tonight after I wrap it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a little more progress this afternoon!

While I was letting my test pieces dry I went ahead and installed the 2" egg create foam I had laying around. Went in pretty smooth and with the spray adhesive they aren't coming out any time soon!

That same adhesive doesn't work with the vinyl unfortunately! :hissyfit:
So I am on the hunt for something else that will work. Searching online, it looks like 3M makes a product that might work, HERE. Any one have experience attaching this kind of material? Do you think that this 3m 80 spray adhesive would work?

Oh, here is the picture of the ostrich vinyl.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a pretty big update this time!!

On Thursday I stopped at Home Depot on my way to work and picked up some 3M Super 77. This stuff is awesome! I did a few test pieces with it at work that night and it holds really good. I don't see it coming off anytime soon!!

So Friday morning when I got home from work I wrapped everything that need wrapped. It was actually pretty simple really. I marked a middle line on the vinyl and on the box. Then I sprayed both the vinyl and front of the box with a couple coats of the Super 77. Let it sit about 1-2 minutes until tacky. Then I just started laying the vinyl on. I only did one side a time and marked off any edge that I didn't want any overspray getting on. Once I got to the back it got a lot harder. There was no way I could actually get the pattern to match, but since I started on the front and no will ever see the back I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I left about a 3 inch section where the two pieces would meet unglued then overlapped the two pieces and cut a seam with a straight edge and new razor blade. It came out pretty good, but no picture of it. I was pretty tired and in a hurry to get some sleep so I didn't take any pictures of it after wrapping it.

Today when I got home I went right back at it! I flushed up all the vinyl over hang on the top and bottom. Then I cut out the driver hole and rolled it tight into the flush mount of the driver hole, as seen here:

oh yeah, I had to remove the weather stripping I installed so I could get the vinyl to lay in there all the way. Since I have so much of it, I didn't really mind pulling it out and laying down a few more pieces after the glue dried.

After that I wired up the speakon connector and installed it in the back of the box. I hope I did it right! I wired it +2/-2? I don't think it matters really since I bought the build your own pieces from Parts Express, so as long as the polarities match up on the cables and from the output on the box, It should work right? Let me know if my thinking is wrong on this since this is my first adventure in speakon cables.

Once that was done nothing was left but install the driver and put it in her home! WARNING: Get help when carrying a very heavy box from the garage to the 2nd floor! My back still hurts! :flex::flex::flex:

Enough rambling, lets get to the good stuff...

ahhhh, how cute that little thing is...:rofl:

Here is a shot with the rest of the equipment. After these are done, the next project is to build the 4T's to match my 4CC.

I was talking with a friend and he has a buddy who is suppose to hook me up with the granite for a good price. We will see though. The granite will happen after the other one is built and finished, so I can make sure the pieces will match and I get exact fits for each. Porbably not till mid to later January.

Also, I am hopefully getting one of Ricci's CE4000's in a couple of weeks, and I will finally be able to see what it will do!!:hsd:

Hope you enjoy, sorry the pictures are of poor quality. Only have the camera on my phone so they are a little fuzzy. On some of the pictures, I actually used my wifes phone since it has a way nicer camera in it, 8mp i believe. Plus the light up there is not that good. I will see if I can get better ones while the sun is out.

Hope all this makes since, I have been up for 27 hours and it time for bed!!:dumbcrazy:

Take care,
Joe

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Excellent work!

I have to subscribe just so I can here how you like the Fi sub, might order some up my-self.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Did you use a jig saw to cut your bracing? Some of the best bracing I have seen on a build and doing the half lap came out great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks sub!

I did use a jigsaw to cut the bracing. My bad pictures must hide my errors pretty good! I thought they came out ok. I was going to round over all the inner edges of the bracing but I forgot. I wish I had because when I was getting the wiring ready and installing the foam I hit my knuckles on the sharp edges a few times. Oh well, next time I'll remember.

I don't think I will do the half lap on the 2nd one though. Was a last minute thing but I don't think there is any benefit considering the extra time they take.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts