Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hi Yad. Its too early to answer that. I'm still waiting for the woofers and CAPs to protect the tweeters. But I will keep all of you informed as soon as possible.

Can wait to put everything together :foottap::crying:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Excellent Job! Nice choice of midwoofers. I'm curious why you didn't choose higher eff. tweeter to match the capabilities of the dual 18Sound mids? SBAcoustics SB29 Neo( small faceplate=close C to C spacing)

I'll be watching this one closely.....thanx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi Anthony. Thank you for your kind words.
I can tell you that I had spent soo many hours trying to figure out wich tweeter to use. I have looked into that same tweeter you mencioned, and also at the SB Acoustics SB29RDC. The SBAcoustics SB29 Neo was a very attractive choice because of the shorter C-T-C distance, allowing me to cross a little lower to the tweeter improving off-axis response. But after looked soo many times to the distortion plot, I didn't liked the rising the the 2nd order distortion in the Neo below 2Kz. Take a look at Zaph measurements in his blog. Maybe I had overlooked that point. Its was a very hard choice, believe me, that took away some hours of sleep. At this point there is no turning back. Feel free to make further comments.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That's the hardest part of the design process, accepting the performance limitations of the performance gains of another. i spend more time considering these things than actually building anything? I feel your pain.

I have not used the neo but have worked with the full size version. An excellent tweeter all around BUT admitedly for low level, near field listening, there's other options with a bit more definition for lack of a better word. Looking forward to your progress.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I read all the way through your beginning post when you were considering this project. It was interesting to see the thought process of how you landed on your design.

Now that we can see what you are doing with it I'm really glad you chose to go all active. I have little doubts about how they will sound.

A couple questions:

when you get them done; you may want to experiment with no protection on the tweeters. I use active speakers too and no longer use caps for the tweeters to protect them. I think they sound better naked and as long as you are careful when making crossover changes, you won't blow them.

As another poster mentioned you may want to experiment with a slightly higher quality tweet to go with those mids.

How did you come to discover the 18 sound drivers? They are really fantastic units..

I'm really curious what your thoughts are on their completion. Please let us know how this story ends.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If not too late, I recommend Owen-Corning 703 or 705, or high density rockwool board, Roxul #4-#8 value. It will serve far better to prevent acoustic reflection(s) and internal standing wave resonance(s).

Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi Pete. I will try without the caps. The use of the caps is to protect the tweeters from uncontrolled signals when turning on and off the amplifiers and in case of electricity fault.

I discovered the 18sound from the Zaph Audio site.

More news comming soon ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If not too late, I recommend Owen-Corning 703 or 705, or high density rockwool board, Roxul #4-#8 value. It will serve far better to prevent acoustic reflection(s) and internal standing wave resonance(s).

Chris
Not too late for the bottom enclosure Chris. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
how have your speakers turned out
it has been some time since i posted here so it would be good if you can share some snaps of your labour

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi speedie, hi everyone.

Sorry being away for soo long. Life got very busy meanwhile. I had made some renovations at home. I built a new WC and changed the floor and ceiling of two rooms :spend:. One of them will be a leisure room, and in a few months I plan to move my sound system over there. I also needed to remodel and repaint another room for my first kid that will be born in December :bigsmile:

Given all this work, I had made little progress in the loudspeakers, in fact less than I expected. but it's time to show their current state.

First I going to repeat the prime coat applied in the top enclousures because the image doesn't show.
P1070137.JPG
P1070141.JPG

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Initially I wanted to paint the speakers in a colour that could mimic wood. The front and top surfaces would be in black.
Here they are.

P1070158.JPG
P1070200.JPG
P1070232.JPG

My wife doesn't like the final results, and to be honest I'm not happy too. So we decided that we should explore something diferent, something more exotic, but more of that latter.

After this I started to apply the prime coat to the bottom enclousures.

P1080183.JPG
P1080196.JPG
P1080187.JPG

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice work thus far!

One question though. If you planned to paint them and had access to a CNC why didn't you just have them cut a ton of curved pieces like the braces except have them the full width with bracing throughout? That would have saved you months.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts