I guess I decided it was time to quit lurking and give a hearty thanks to all those involved in the maintenance of this site. There is a tremendous amount of information available and it is about as organized as one could hope for.
I purchased a USB Live 24bit soundcard for my laptop (recommended here) and used the "newer" analog calibration file. I had REQW up and taking measurements in less than 30 minutes. I did of course read all the help files twice before trying to use the software or plug anything up.:reading:
A bit about my room- it is 24X13 (8' ceilings)with 3 open doorways basically to the entire 1400sf of my home (at least 1150 of it anyway). So a medium to large room considering the doorways... Anyway sub is a Danny Richie of GR-Research design, 2.4cf 12" down-firing woofer with 12" passsive radiator running off a 250W RMS plate amp. It was tough to find any analytical evidence on what to expect from the sub. I did build a 110 pound enclosure that is 21" cube- 1-1/2" walls with large cross brace to boot. Black hole5 on all interior surfaces. VERY solid enclosure- I figured I could put a rhtymik kit in it at a later time if the GR Research driver did not pan out.
I ran at least 25 sweeps from 4 major locations with the PR facing different directions. REQW was amazing in showing the differences in each location. My first & originally preferred location and orientation was at the front of my room with response falling badly at 24Hz. Wow I wish you could have seen the disappointment on my face...
Money is tight right now and I believe I could significantly improve my sound with a BFD, but I am happy I spent an afternoon dragging my 130pound subwoofer around.
Without furthur pontification... see my first graph below. Solid line is actual response and dotted line is my proposed house curve if I do get a BFD- I do propose to use a bit of boost max of 6dB on a narrow bandwidth- hope brucek does not hate me too much for my transgression. All his arguments make sense, but I figure just a lil' can't be THAT bad, right. :surrender: LOL.
I AM FLAT to 19Hz GETTING SIGNIFICANT OUTPUT AT 15Hz which makes me IMMENSELY happy for what I spent- maybe $600 and that includes $90 of walnut burl veneer and $70 of Brazilian cherry. :jump:
P.S The PR runs out of steam at 14.7 and drops at what must be close to a 36db/octave after that. but solid output to 15Hz at what I spent... INSANE! DIY is the way to go... Sound quality is absolutely top notch, too as was to be expected from GR-Research. The extension was just a bonus.