Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished my first loudspeaker building project. I had built a sealed box for an 8" sub before this and was kind of handy with wood etc. It wasn't very expensive, but the results were pretty nice.

The reason for the speaker shape is hard to describe. They were designed to fit in a small cubby next to a bookshelf under a mantle on either side of the fire place. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of this part yet.

I ended up liking the look and the sound. The lower needs support from a sub, but the upper end is bright and the midrange is open and clear.

Here's the project link.

IMPORTANT: If you are going to build this project use the latest crossover design by the author: Curt C. The parts list in the Parts Express Showcase is not correct. Curt has requested that they update it so far without success.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have to build the grills, but that is it! I'm very excited about the DIY speaker hobby. Or rather can you follow the kit instructions category... :) I can do that at least.

I'd love to hear your comments. The good the bad the ugly. Let me have it.

Thanks,

Kyle

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those look great! I love the unusual shape. I've always thought that was one of the best aspects of building your own speakers - you can choose your own shape, size, style, color, etc. I'm building my first speaker with non-right angles currently, and yours came out far better. Mine will look ok once it's done, but only because all of the cabinet will be hidden. :)

Thanks for posting the link. I have a pair of speakers at work using those same woofers in an MTM configuration, though with an ApexJR dome tweeter. Interestingly, just through trial and error, I wound up doing the same thing as Curt did in my crossover - setting the woofer crossover frequency considerably lower than the tweeter crossover frequency. They were my surround back speakers for several years, and served very well in that duty, even run full range.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work! This is exactly why DIY is such a great option. You can design your speakers to a specific application. Any way we can see some response graphs of you system?
Wow, What a request. I don't know were to begin... Other than to explain that I'm a noob and don't have any equipment to do any measurements. I have started looking at speaker workshop. I would need a mic and preamp apparently and some more time.

For now for a $150 set of speakers (+time of course). I can't see dropping $100 on a sound measure setup.

I've been toying with my new addiction by pondering building a pair of natalie p's. I've asked Mrs Clause for the parts. (Even printed here a parts express parts list) :) W'ell see how that goes....

If I do get to build my nat p's earlier rather than later, I might invest in a mic an such to get some measurements.

- Kyle

·
Registered
349 Posts
those look really nice. The shape actualy reminds me of the old NHT speakers that were kind of shaped like that.

That port at the bottom looks really small...that could be whats limiting your bottom end.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Great job, They look fantastic. Nice to build something and have it come out so nice. It gives you that great sense of pride that comes with diy. Not to mention they sound better to...:yay:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Very clean build!

But just so you know, you have just started down a slippery slope. Before long, you're going to be building bigger, better, louder speakers just because you can. :bigsmile:

But again, good work and thanks for sharing!

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I have started looking at speaker workshop. I would need a mic and preamp apparently and some more time.
Check out RoomEQ Wizard which can be found here. It is free a works great!

Calibration files for the radio shack spl meters can be downloaded from the downloads forum and will give you pretty accurate readings up to about 5khz.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Nice work!! Thanks for the detailed photo log! Measuring your results would be cool... You could invest in the test rig, know just how good you are, then sell as 'nearly new' in the classifieds....:ponder:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those look really nice. The shape actualy reminds me of the old NHT speakers that were kind of shaped like that.

That port at the bottom looks really small...that could be whats limiting your bottom end.
I used Box-Port Desing to model the ports. It's a 2" ID x 3.25 inch port flared at both ends. I went with the Box-plot suggested port size and length to keep the Vent Mach low while making sure I had enough space for the length of the straight pipe. The angles kept me from going too deep before hitting the back wall.

I think what is limiting the bottom end is likely enclosure size and midwoofer size.

-Kyle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out RoomEQ Wizard which can be found here. It is free a works great!

Calibration files for the radio shack spl meters can be downloaded from the downloads forum and will give you pretty accurate readings up to about 5khz.
Just checked out RoomEQ. Looks like a nice piece of software. Yeah. As soon as I find the cash for a sound measuring setup, Ill spring for something like this.

-Kyle

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used Box-Port Desing to model the ports. It's a 2" ID x 3.25 inch port flared at both ends. I went with the Box-plot suggested port size and length to keep the Vent Mach low while making sure I had enough space for the length of the straight pipe. The angles kept me from going too deep before hitting the back wall.

I think what is limiting the bottom end is likely enclosure size and midwoofer size.

-Kyle
I'd agree, plus the Fs of 61 Hz. Still, these woofers are pretty impressive down into the 40's, for only 5.25" drivers. They produce quite a bit of output, and aren't as easily overdriven as you might suspect, given the 30W RMS rating and 2.5mm Xmax. I bet you won't notice many port problems with actual use. Sure, if you pump 60W into them right at the tuning frequency, you'll likely hear some port noise. But power levels in normal use will tend to be much, much lower.

We're looking forward to the pictures of them in their little cubby!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd agree, plus the Fs of 61 Hz. Still, these woofers are pretty impressive down into the 40's, for only 5.25" drivers. They produce quite a bit of output, and aren't as easily overdriven as you might suspect, given the 30W RMS rating and 2.5mm Xmax. I bet you won't notice many port problems with actual use. Sure, if you pump 60W into them right at the tuning frequency, you'll likely hear some port noise. But power levels in normal use will tend to be much, much lower.

We're looking forward to the pictures of them in their little cubby!
Yeah, I tuned the port to 48 Hz. I'm satisfied with the bass output, all things considered. I agree these little guys perform well for their size. I have yet to overdrive them. With a bigger box I could have got more out of them. My sub fills in the bottom end nicely though.

Yeah I need to take a pic of them in the fireplace. I am finishing the grills tomorrow. Maybe I'll take some pics.

Kyle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK So it's been a long time coming and I finally have a snapshot of the speakers in place. This is with the grill covers removed. There's a few other in room touches that haven't been finished yet. The fireplace needs to be framed and the side walls painted. This setup sounds pretty incredible though. I'm still working on placing some rear channel speakers in the ceiling, but those won't be triunes. So anyways this wraps up my Triune thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts