Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title, I have this system, it's working out pretty well and delivering much improved surround sound to my man cave. The only trouble is that it's hidden in a bar behind the viewing area and my source is usually a laptop with audio extractor via hdmi, so I have no volume control (among other controls, but volume is the most egregious).
The thing that's thowing me a bit is that there seem to be assorted ports in back for remote control in addition to a conventional IR input in front. This receiver isn't new enough to have wifi or bluetooth, but it does have these other options. I also noticed there is the app and of course we're accustomed to using iphones to control media upstairs. It would be great to finagle some way to get control of this thing with that app or something similar and I wonder if I can use one of the existing interface structures to get there.
Maybe my best option is an IR repeater but even if that ends up being it, can someone recommened a repeater that will translate to bluetooth or wifi or something easy?

FWIW, Marantz has everything including the ports and IR map keys well documented at this link on their site. Included on this link is an RS-232 remote list... that sounds promising but I'm still going to need some help to get to the finish line here. Thanks in advance for any!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a similar setup to your: a HTPC feeding an (Anthem) pre. I use Eventghost on the PC controlling the pre via serial - works very well. A custom macropad (keyboard) mounted next to the master "watching" seat and I can control the preamp, even out-of-sight.
In your case, a USB-RS232 converter would do to get serial out of the laptop.
A simpler solution would be something like this: IR Repeater - use one myself (elsewhere) and its one of those "it just works" things.
A professional "Translate IR to BT/WiFi" solution would be something like the Broadlink RM4: can't comment on it in use as have never used one - I tend to find Broadlink gear a bit unreliable, but YMMV and in any case, there's probably similar out there by other manufacturers.

If you're into "roll your own" this would do exactly what you're after, and by the looks, be very adaptable in future...

Still another option would be in reverse: a USB-UIRT on the PC, an IR repeater to the Marantz and a universal (IR) remote to control them all.....

One thing to be aware of is the more "customised" your control setup becomes (eg EventGhost-Serial Output-Serial Control on the Marantz) - the harder it is to change components on the future - you'll need to re-learn/modify your control system and codes for the next peice of gear...

Another point to consider is the "apps" some manufacturers make aren't necessarily very good: the Anthem app (on Android) for examply crashes after 20-40 mins of running. Again, YMMV re the Marantz app, but I wouldn't necessarily consider the manufacturer's app "best in class".

End of the day, it depends on how deep into the rabbit-hole you want to go / how much you're prepared to invest! (being either time or $) and what you're looking for in terms of control / refinement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a similar setup to your: a HTPC feeding an (Anthem) pre. I use Eventghost on the PC controlling the pre via serial - works very well. A custom macropad (keyboard) mounted next to the master "watching" seat and I can control the preamp, even out-of-sight.
In your case, a USB-RS232 converter would do to get serial out of the laptop.
A simpler solution would be something like this: IR Repeater - use one myself (elsewhere) and its one of those "it just works" things.
A professional "Translate IR to BT/WiFi" solution would be something like the Broadlink RM4: can't comment on it in use as have never used one - I tend to find Broadlink gear a bit unreliable, but YMMV and in any case, there's probably similar out there by other manufacturers.

If you're into "roll your own" this would do exactly what you're after, and by the looks, be very adaptable in future...

Still another option would be in reverse: a USB-UIRT on the PC, an IR repeater to the Marantz and a universal (IR) remote to control them all.....

One thing to be aware of is the more "customised" your control setup becomes (eg EventGhost-Serial Output-Serial Control on the Marantz) - the harder it is to change components on the future - you'll need to re-learn/modify your control system and codes for the next peice of gear...

Another point to consider is the "apps" some manufacturers make aren't necessarily very good: the Anthem app (on Android) for examply crashes after 20-40 mins of running. Again, YMMV re the Marantz app, but I wouldn't necessarily consider the manufacturer's app "best in class".

End of the day, it depends on how deep into the rabbit-hole you want to go / how much you're prepared to invest! (being either time or $) and what you're looking for in terms of control / refinement.
Thanks!
In the time past, I've sorted out quite a few details and I'm likely to pursue some combination of your suggestions via an IOT board that I've used for a few projects now, an ESP32/arduino where I can just have it duplicate IR signals directly into the sensor based on a wifi connection. I'm not an awesome programmer (yet!) but I've been dabbling increasingly through the years and this will be a good opportunity to learn more on the wifi side. Also, it's been done enough times that most of my effort will probably just be following instructions at this point. The main thing that I need is just a way to adjust volume and maybe power on/off. That's about all this system gets used for and I dont see myself rearranging things anytime soon. To be honest, this old sound system sounds pretty great, so I'm pretty happy- plus I get to learn a few new skills along the way so even better! Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts