Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...well..to start off...in order to get 7.1 surround sound..you definitely need 7+sw channels..so..i currently have motherboard and im going to buy an msi kn9n6gm..this board supports HD audio and has onboard 7.1 channels.well..my receiver is a kenwood vr-60-rs .but obviously if im not going to be running the speakers from the board but from the reciever.....to the reciever 's single input i need a single channel containing the entire audio bandwidth along with surround and sw to be processed by the receiver ..what do i do.?...i hope i wasnt too confusing..ill be thankful for all the help i can get..thanks..brandon.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Does the motherboard have digital optical or co-ax output?

If so, you should probably be good to go with the appropriate cable. Just hook the output of the motherboard to the appropriate input on the receiver, and you have all 7.1 channels coming in through 1 pipe.

If not, you either need a different motherboard with the above outputs, or a receiver with 7.1 analog inputs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see..sadly i dont have either ....illl have to look at some souncards to see iuf they have...thanks anyways.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Normally you would need to hook up 8 audio interconnects from you motherboard's 1/8" minijack outputs to your AVR's analog multichannel input. Digital optical Toslink or coax S/PDIF can only carry two (one stereo pair) unencoded linear PCM channels. For S/PDIF to carry 5.1 channels it must use lossy compression of Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS.

A very few of the newest motherboards (like those with the Intel G45 on-board video) can output 7.1 channels over HDMI to an HDMI audio input capable AVR.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bob, his AVR has no multichannel analog ins. No HDMI either.

Something has to change to get multichannel sound from his PC, and the easiest way to do it, (please notice I didn't say best) is to get a sound card with co-ax or optical.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Most MSI motherboards have a header connector that you can cable to an RCA panel jack for output of coaxial S/PDIF audio. This PC I am using now with an MSI mother board does. Just a matter of hooking up to the header connector on the motherboard.

That does get you 5.1 multichannel output with a straight passthru out to the AVR of audio on a DVD or recorded video that uses AC3 or DTS.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Any idea where he could get the rca panel jack and cable? Do they normally come with the motherboard, or are they an option or aftermarket?

I was not aware that MSI had that capability, but then I don't try to keep up with all the stuff they put on motherboards anymore.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It can look like this:

But vendors of motherboards often carry similar versions. Some have the RCA jack on a card slot cover bracket. Some even have the conversion to optical Toslink.

Google:
MSI Motherboard S/PDIF Digital Coax Audio Out cable

and you get a bunch of eBay hits.

Or you can make your own.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that the most you can get is 5.1 over coax or Optical. There is not a single DVD that has 7.1 audio and very few BluRay DVDs and for any of the uncompressed audio formats you must use HDMI. So I would not bother with 7.1 from a PC at all stick to 5.1.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that the most you can get is 5.1 over coax or Optical. There is not a single DVD that has 7.1 audio and very few BluRay DVDs and for any of the uncompressed audio formats you must use HDMI. So I would not bother with 7.1 from a PC at all stick to 5.1.
Yep. I tried to say that earlier about S/PDIF -- 5.1 is the max channels and that requires lossy compression with legacy audio codecs (DD or DTS).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whoa...i dont reply in one day and all this??>>>lol...thanks guys very helpful but thankfully my friend hooked me up with an asus that has all 7.1 outputs,coax and digital....i guess i really was looking for the wrong thing now i have all three i think however i will be going with the digital out to my receiver's input ..thanks alot again.!:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh i was also wondering ..will all my files play through (mostly mp3's and sound from vidz) digital out?

·
Registered
999 Posts
oh i was also wondering ..will all my files play through (mostly mp3's and sound from vidz) digital out?
If the player application software (Windows Media Player for example) does the normal default decode to stereo (LPCM) and the S/PDIF digital output is enabled by the Sound setup in Windows Control Panel -- then they all should.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts