Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to go with the eD 19Ov.2 b/c they gave me a deal of the driver and the eq2 for $300. I was dead set on going sealed but now I am reconsidering. I modeled in winisd (I have enclosure already built at 4.26ft^3) and came up with some funky numbers. The A7s 450 is in a similar enclosure and is pretty good for a sealed enclosure. I then modeled a ported enclosure and came up with a 4 in. diameter and 6.76 in long. Is this correct? I can easily cut a 4in circle and order a 17 in port. What do you guys think ?
I would prefer a sealed enclosure but the model isn't working to well.

I have a behringer ep1500 amp if anyone models the designs. (please someone do as I got some strange numbers when trying for sealed)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I found this for sealed enclosures. If true then the .707 isn't always best.

Qtc Response Peak Sound Quality and Characteristics

0.5 0 Critically damped, lowered SPL, huge enclosure.

0.577 0 Optimal driver damping, lowered SPL, best transient response, huge enclosure.

0.707 0 Usually considered the "optimum" alignment by most designers, gives excellent transient response, low bass performance and power handling, and flattest response curve before F3. Enclosure may be fairly large.

0.85 + 0.69 dB Good alignment if optimum is to large an enclosure, generally very good performance with only slightly accentuated (non-flat) bass, good low bass response. Medium sized enclosure.

1.0 +1.25 dB Best compromise enclosure. Much smaller box than optimum, fair transient response and low bass performance, more noticeable midbass peak. Medium-smaller sized enclosure.

1.1 +1.83 dB Maximum power handling and efficiency, smaller sized enclosure, more pronounced midbass peak. Smaller enclosure.

1.3 +3 dB Driver may sound noticeably boomy, especially smaller drivers with higher Fs and Qts. Fair (or worse) transient response and compromised low bass response. Pronounced mid-bass peak makes the enclosure louder but less accurate. Small enclosure.

2.0 +6 dB Very boomy and muddy, poor transient response and low bass performance. Very small enclosure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is strictly for HT use. In your graph the box sizes are different. In my graph both boxes are modeled in a 4.25ft^3 box. In this box they model close to equal. I am afraid of port noise with the ported enclosure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this is for HT then forget sealed. Port noise is not an issue with the proper sized port. How big of a cabinet is acceptable and what amplifier will be powering the sub?
I have built a 4.25ft^3 enclosure (similar to the A7 450)and am powering it with a behringer ep1500 amp. Winisd says I need a 4in diameter and 17.1in length port tuned to 20hz.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
10.5 cu ft is entirely to big as WAF didn't want to accept the 4.25 cu ft enclosure. Thats why I found the eD 19Ov.2 searching for a driver to fit those specs. I figured if the A7 450 uses that enclosure so can I. What is the smallest enclosure I can use to get deep bass down to about 20hz?I may be able to talk her into maybe 6ft cu ft. at most.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well let me look at what you could do with that 4.25 with some passive radiators. That would of course require that you spend more money. You could even use the enclosure you have now but it has an F3 of 45hz and a fairly steep rolloff after that which would be fine for music but for HT will probably not make you happy at all. But you could do that and see where it takes you.

Edit* Ehh, the passive radiators don't really seem to be helping much either other than adding another $100-$200 to the cost of the project. Tho actually looking at the SPL of that sub at high wattage its still pretty loud down around 20hz and room gain would be helping out so you might try it tuned to 20hz in that 4.5 cu with a slot port or something and see how it works.

One thing I just thought of and tried in WinISD is that if you have any way of adding EQ to the signal if you can boost around 4 or 5db around 22-24hz then you can get a nice gentle slope down to about 20hz. You are however going to need a high pass filter around 15-18hz tho otherwise the thing will start bottoming out pretty hard if you play loud material that goes below 20hz. So the question is, do you have any way to EQ the signal and add a high pass filter? If so try it out in the box you have right now ported to 20hz and it should work ok.

I have the eD eq.2 that came with the 19Ov.2. Which port are you referring to? The 4in diameter and 17 in long port?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have done a little modeling with winisd and came up with this. Let me know if it will work. An enclosure 9.6cu ft. with a port 6 inches in diameter and 13.5 inches long. Will that cut down on the port noise?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She loves movies. I conned her talking up her teacher friends coming over on Fridays for movie night :bigsmile: I will start tomorrow. Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How to use eD eQ.2

I am building a sub based on the 19Ov.2 and also purchased the eQ.2 along with the sub. My question is how do I set up the eQ.2? I think the subsonic filter should be set at about 1 o'clock~20hz what about the other settings? I also ordered the samson s-convert due to arrive next week. The eQ.2 is being used in conjunction with the behringer ep1500. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2x700 watts @ 2ohms or 1400 watts @ 4ohms bridged. Right now I have it @ 700 watts. At 700 watts I am within the range eD recommends for the sub. By the way it sounds good but not what I was expecting. I need to do a little calibrating and moving it around the room.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yes. I am testing it now. Will post pics once I am done. I have pics from beginning to end.

If doing a 4 ohm bridged is required I can do that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
So just set the subsonic filter to 17-18 and leave everything else at default? I have been playing around with it and have noticed a difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am getting the hang of the eQ.2 now,but I have another dilemma. I tried to paint birch plywood piano black (used primer as well) and screwed it up bigtime. Then ,my brilliant self :foottap:, decided to sand it down a bit and use truck bedliner another big mistake. My question now is what can I use to cover my disastrous paint job but floor shaking sub? I need something like maybe veneer or something else. Let me know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It looks bad,not like I thought it would. I am thinking of putting veneer on it to enhance the looks of the sub.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts