Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to upgrade out of my garbage sony receiver, the Onkyo 809 was on sale at amazon for 446$ so i thought i would snag it, i didn't really want to spend double that for the 818 with the newer version of audyssey
hows the 809 been for anyone that has it?
should be a lot better than my 100WPC at 1khz the sony "put out" haha that thing was cranked and could barely get to 75db with my EMP e5's
the onkyo sure looks big! 17x17 x 7 tall i hope it fits somewhere

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Congrats on your choice, the 809 for under $500 is a steal. I can guarantee your sony would be lucky to truly put out 65watts per ch. The 809 is capable of doing 100 without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya looking around the web all weekend the onkyo was mentioned in a post on this site so i checked it out, and has everything i need!, Or want :T
the sony fit the bill to get the wife on the hook! last year on sale for 150$ had HDMI 7.1 and finally
stepped me up into the Blueray+HDtv era, then we listened to some other setups my friends have
and took her to RBH ( just down street from me!) and she sad "Our system doesn't even sound half that good"
haha! so when i told her about the onkyo she asked: can we get overnight shipping?
gotta love that wife :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a question about the Audio Streaming function on this receiver, Can I have a computer
running on my network ( same network as the 809) and have say a 500gig hard drive with just music on it.
does it have to be running some sort of Media player like windows media 7 or does the onkyo handle that internally?

If this needs to be moved just let me know-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats I have the 809 and I love it but I've been having a problem whit my cable been connected everytime I go to Comcast on demand my hole screen gets pink so I have to shout off my cable box an turn it back on until its fine must be the video processing but everything els is working wonderful good luck to yours .

Sent from my PC36100 using HT Shack

·
Registered
876 Posts
I needed to upgrade out of my garbage sony receiver, the Onkyo 809 was on sale at amazon for 446$ so i thought i would snag it, i didn't really want to spend double that for the 818 with the newer version of audyssey
hows the 809 been for anyone that has it?
should be a lot better than my 100WPC at 1khz the sony "put out" haha that thing was cranked and could barely get to 75db with my EMP e5's
the onkyo sure looks big! 17x17 x 7 tall i hope it fits somewhere
If It ain't a Sony with the ES badge, then it isn't worth connecting to your speakers. I have picked up a few Sony receivers at goodwill and was very disappointed in the sound compared to the clarity of Onkyo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts