Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first post here, but I've spent many hours going over the DIY section recently,and figured I had to tell you all about my sucssesful repair.
I recieved a JVC av56p776 from a friend that works at a local condo. The previous owner had recently moved in and started having problem with the TV. It would turn off and on and would eventually stop and not restart untill the power was removed, but the sound still worked when it was on. He basicaly threw out the TV but offered it to my friend, who in turn offered it to me.
This was my first try at TV repair, but I do work with high end pool equipment with includes many circut boards, solid state parts, power supplies, and high voltage(motor starter caps can be evil). I started with research, and found a good power supply training manual online, and stared investigating. I found in the TV's service menu the main error was an OCP(over current protection). After a few days I now knew alot about switching power supplies and found that this was not the main issue with the TV. The power supply latching was just the result of the over current error. So I moved on to the def/convergence board and thats when I found this great web site and the many posts by Icaillo.
I read every single post I could and had pretty much determined that the stk chips were the problem. But I noticed a bunch of people that had gone straight to the repair, and it had not fixed the problem. So I followed lcaillo's usuall reply to them and traced all circuts I could before a went any farther. All the resistors tested good and there was no sign of damage on the stk's. I started tracing the B+ voltage line and found the #10 pin on the fly back transformer was not connecting with the B+ wire connection from the power supply board. Once I finally got my jewlers loop out and took a close look, I found a crack in the board that bisected the #10 and #9 pin on the FBT!!!! So with my heart pounding and my iron in hand,I reinforced the board and soldered a copper wire bridge over the cracked traces. And it worked!!!!
So thats the story of how I got a 56" rear projector that is 5 years old, for 5 dollars :bigsmile:
Once again ,a big thanks from this hard core DIY'er, for this great resource. Now I get to see how good I am at tuning up the shape/convergence of the picture :T

Dan

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Wow, impressive research and thoroughness. Once again, my admonition to never assume anything is proven to be good advice. I will stash that tip for the next time I run into one of these sets as something to be looking for.

You are welcome and thanks for the post and info.

I will expect some pool advice. That is, if I can ever afford a pool.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great job poolman , sure makes you feel great when you find and fix a problem youself :clap:

I've read a number of helpful posts on this forum and I must say there is some knowledgable folks on here . I've just posted a problem with my TV on here and am hopeful I can resolve it myself with some advice .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts